Greenhouse Glass V Plastic

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Determined Gardener
KG Regular

Not sure if you all have strong views on this or not. There seems to be a lot of greenhouses on the market that have plastic instead of glass. Is there any difference to performance of the greenhouse? The potential location does not have any overhanging trees so is not at risk of falling fruit etc but I do have two very young children and therefore favouring the plastic over the glass.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Sounds like plastic might be your best choice if you are worried about broken glass, but take care when cleaning the greenhouse as some chemical cleaners degrade plastic, with the right choice of cleaner should last you well
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Never having had a plastic greenhouse, I would guess that it would be a better insulator than glass, but would admit less light, and steadily loose more light transmission as it gets older and more scratched.

I went for toughened glass for child safety reasons. Neither he, or falling apples from the nearby tree, have broken it yet. The really nice thing about it is that the sheets can be large single panes, unlike traditional greenhouse glass, so no overlaps full of algae.

A quick google threw up this, which seems to agree with my choice:

http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/info_ ... _page_id=3
Chantal
KG Regular

I had a "strong UPVC greenhouse" which was the biggest load of **** I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.

The UPVC didn't break like glass, but break it did and after every strong wind I was out collecting the pieces and taping them back together with greenhouse tape. I went through around 20 rolls of tape, there was more tape than "glass"!

After 3 years of total misery I bought a glass greenhouse which has been wonderful for nearly 15 years. :D

Need I tell you my recommendation? :wink:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Determined Gardener
KG Regular

Thanks Chantel - it's good to know this. looks like everyone is recommending the glass route. I'm going to take a look at the toughened glass variety
Geoff
KG Regular

I haven't priced them but there is a third way - the upmarket poly tunnels like Keder and Haygrove. I don't know the people so I don't know how successful it is but I regularly walk past a Keder in a very exposed position and it has been there at least three years and seems to be undamaged.
I like the ones made out of twin wall polycarbonate panels. A neighbour got so fed up with one blowing away or the panels blowing out that he abandoned it and stacked all the panels behind his shed. He decided he had no use for them so they have made me brilliant cold frame lids and two frames I've used for salad and am about to move to new positions for the Winter salad crops.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic