watering system for a poly tunnel

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

nemo
KG Regular

3 of my four raised beds have a drip irrigation system but what system would be best for my carrots would an over head sprinkler or a sprinkler spraying from the carrot bed itself.or is there another system be best.what would you recommend
we grow about 6-7square meters of carrots each year
regards
nemo
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Nemo,
Are these Carrots grown in rows or 'en bloc'?
I have irrigation in my tunnels which is not automatic and is manually used as needed and this is by mist jets that spread 4ft maximum but are adjustable down to 1ft if necessary by screwing down the jet cap. They have been in operation since 1990 and have worked very well.
The spread of the jets is pressure dependant so your water pressure plays a very large part. To get even distribution some of the irrigation lines are fed from both ends. For example to get a 60ft length of jets at 3ft centres to distribute evenly if fed from one end the pressure difference would show a decrease in strength down the line but fed from both ends with equal pressure all the jets are at roughly the same strength and with fine tuning of the screw caps you can get them perfect if needed. I generally only need to use this irrigation for a little more than a minute or two at a time and the water used is minimal. Every drop of water here goes through the water meter so cost is quite important.
JB.
nemo
KG Regular

yes JB the carrots are grown in straight rows. the bed is 1.2 meters wide and 12 meters long.we have roughly 20 evenly spaced rows of carrot's a jet system would work good we are on mains water so far the water is free but they are going to fit a meter to each house in the near future
4-5 jet would cover our carrot bed
thanksJB
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic