Polytunnel v Keder greenhouse

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tiamaria1
KG Regular

Hi all,
I am currently working with a community group who want their own community plot and as part of it would like a polytunnel or similar. The site has been vanadalised now and again, 4 times in the last ten years, with thefts and damaged to tunnels and greenhouses. Their plot on the site is right next to the public footpath and they are a bit worried about spending money on a tunnel for it to get wrecked. Do you think a Keder style polytunnel would be more likely to fend off any flying missiles from the local youths or would you say they were better with a less expensive version that they could re cover for a smaller cost if it got damaged?

:? :)
http://www.lancswt.org.uk
The Wildlife Trust protects all native wildlife. We create wildlife havens, stand up for wildlife, inspire people about the natural world and encourage sustainable living. Please join today!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Keder are really only glorified Polytunnels and they are much more expensive both to buy and to repair so my advice is to stick to a straight Polytunnel. Mind you Keders are exceedingly superior to straight Polytunnels.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

I assume a greenhouse with plastic glazing or toughened glass is beyond the budget?
tiamaria1
KG Regular

Yes Geoff unfortunatley. They want a large area undercover and they want to involve local school children in the growing so it needs to be fairly big to get all the "little darlings" in incase it rains, so as big as we can fit and fairly cheaply!!
http://www.lancswt.org.uk
The Wildlife Trust protects all native wildlife. We create wildlife havens, stand up for wildlife, inspire people about the natural world and encourage sustainable living. Please join today!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic