Raised Beds Question

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

melliff
KG Regular

I want to try a couple of raised beds next year. From what I've read, one of the advantages of them is that one tops them up each year with new compost rather than digging them.

But what about root vegetables? I've always believed that one shouldn't sow root vegetables in new manured ground as it causes problems. Is this not the case with compost? Is it okay to grow root vegetables in raised beds with a high compost content?

Martin.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Good question Melliff, I shall be paying close attention to the answers as this is my plan for the new year :)
Kind regards,

Elle
nemo
KG Regular

i haven't had trouble with forking of roots of carrots and parsnips when i use home made compost, but if the compost wasn't composted fully this (might) effect the roots .manure that is a few years old is supposed to be ok to grow root crops but i haven't tried it my self just in case
so you are no better off after reading this
nemo
glallotments
KG Regular

We have grown carrots in tubs of compost - bagged bought in from the garden centre - early in a cold greenhouse with no problems. I thought the forking problem was more when planting in newly manured soil.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

From my reading, I beleve Glallotments is right. Manure which is too fresh burns the newly-forming root, causing it to grow in all directions round the point of contact.

If you can incorporate leafmould into the soil of your raised bed, Melliff, you should get some good results. But don't worry if you can't; if the soil is well worked [and you'll need to dig when you actually create the bed if it's for a crop like carrots] and not heavy clay, you should be OK. Try stumpy-rooted carrots the first time, perhaps.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic