when to start sowing in a polly tunnel

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

nemo
KG Regular

i live in the south west of Ireland now most of Ireland is covered in frost and ice now but again we escaped the worst of it when can i start sowing vegetable seeds in the raised beds in our new poly tunnel 48 square meters or soil.if the vegetable seed pack says to start sowing in April outdoor when could i start sowing indoor.i know this is a very general question every year is different but in general how much sooner can crops be sown indoor in the poly tunnel.most vegetable seed packs only say when to sow outdoor.
any advice will be gratefully received,because this is our first year with our new poly tunnel.maybe some of the more experienced growers will let me in on sowing dates indoor verses outdoor .i hope this makes since
regards
nemo
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi nemo

How fortunate you are in Kerry! Here in NW Wales we have escaped the snow, but not the frost. I don't know how much earlier your possible sowing times are than ours. I would take the date on the packet, which is usually for southern England, as about right for here too. I suspect that in Kerry you can reackong a few weks earlier than that, but I'm not sure. What I can say is that as a rule of thumb you can reckon about six weeks earlier in the polytunnel than outside.
Hope this helps. Alan

Nollaig Shona agus Athbhliain faoi Mhaise Duit
nemo
KG Regular

go raibh math agut Alan
Nollaig Shona agus Athbhliain faoi Mhaise Duit fresin Alan
nemo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic