Wet Asparagus Bed

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Nick Dawson
KG Regular

I live in S. Brittany with a S. facing plot. This Spring we planted an asparagus bed adding lots of sand and rubble etc. Like the U.K. we have just had 6 weeks rain and I fear that the bed could have become saturated, the soil has quite a high clay content. Would it be worth
covering the bed with something waterproof for the rest of the Winter, or would that stimulate early growth.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

We have had to cope with saturation now for some time and I am coping by digging from the paths to raise beds, the beds are only wide enough so I can reach into the middle and that saves compaction which compounds the wet situation, like you, mine is also clay. In summer I mulch the beds to conserve moisture during dry periods, No compaction of the soil helps drainage, mulching helps add humus and moisture retention and encourages the worms to make drainage channels. I mulch with hay leafmould, dry grass, and spent crops,
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic