Oriental leaves in the polytunnel

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

geacher
KG Regular

I have a polytunnel in cornwall and currently have oriental leaves growing and they are at the cutting stage, would it viable to plant more seeds now or will it be to late? most of my oriental leaves are of the mustard variety.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Geacher

Congratulations on your oriental leaves.

Mine, too, are at cutting stage. There are two things you can do:

A] Sowing a few more is worth a try, though I would reckon it too late. There's nothing like an experiment.

B] Cut leaves above ground level rather than the whole plant. Most will put on new leaf through the winter and into next spring (I speak from experience of doing this).

Good luck

Alan
richard p
KG Regular

i just pick a few leaves from each plant , they then continue to produce more.
nemo
KG Regular

i made up a mini poly tunnel to cover a bed in our poly tunnel i sowed oriental salad leaver about 4 weeks ago they are up and growing good i also sowed carrots about 5 weeks ago again under a mini poly tunnel they are about 1 inch high.we are lucky with the weather while the rest or Ireland is now covered with frost and ice we are frost free the gulf stream is working well the spring hero cabbages are also looking well
regards nemo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic