looking for an Allotment

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ian White
KG Regular

Hi

Not too sure if this is in the right place(Sorry if it is) but i am looking at getting an Allotment.I am meeting some one from the council on Monday next to have a look at what is avalible on my local site,so my question is what should i be looking for in a plot,i am a beginer gardener and have wanted to give this ago for a while, and to be honest i am not too sure where to start.

Any help would be great and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

All the best,Ian
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Ian, if you have a read through "Allotment shortage" in general chatter, Peter has wrote some very good tips in tere that are worth taking into consideration.

You are sure to get lots more here too though. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
glallotments
KG Regular

Definitely a water supply and adequate security.
Some sites don't allow sheds so ask about garden buildings if this is important to you.
Also ask about security of the site and any problems with theft/vandalism.

Peter's list of what to have on an ideal site is a good starting point - just consider which bits are important to you as you will be very lucky to get the lot!
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Ian and Welcome.

Best find out the length of the waiting list and the
estimated turn over, that way if it might come up
right in the growing season you can start some sowing
at home so you are ready to hit he ground running.

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

On the security: it depends where you live and whether it's an urban or rural site, so it may not be the most important question to ask.

I would certainly look at any other allotments which may already be used on the site and see if they are well kept and not neglected. Water is useful but not essential IF you can have a shed and save the rainwater. If there is any choice, I would look at the position of the allotment (whether north, east, west or south facing) and any big trees which may shade it. You can always improve the soil on your site over the years but you can't change the direction it faces.
Ian White
KG Regular

Hi

Thanks for all you reply's so far,Yes there is a water suppy and there is a fence that is about 8ft tall and when i tried to get in to have a look i had no chance ,some plots have sheds so i dont think that will be a problem,and there is no waiting list and 4 plots are avalible(i was quite shocked at that :shock: ,i thought i'd be put on a waiting list)

Thanks for the reply's,Ian :D
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Ian, there are normally a couple of good old characters on every site, if any of the empty plots are next to one of these i would take it.

They can be a hive of information, and also make for a good laugh when you visit your plot. :)

Ian White
KG Regular

Hi

I managed to get in to the allotments this afternoon,and had a look around the 4 plots that i think have found the ones the council are talking about.

The first plot i came across was full of Brambles about 6 ft tall and to be honest a bit too big for me to start with,i stood there and nearly forgot about the idea :lol:

But i knew it was going to be hard work :lol: ,the next 3 plots i found were not too bad and have been empty about a year so i was told,by some of the chaps there this afternoon,who were very helpfull and even stoped to have a chat with me.

The plot i would be intrested in has what i would call spear grass, i hope you know what i mean :?: ,mixed with the other normal weeds such as nettles from 2 to about 5/6ft tall.

So i think i will try to get one of them,but knowing my luck they wont be the ones avalible :lol: .

Thanks for all the advice so far,i'll let you know how i get on Monday.

All the best,Ian
Monika
KG Regular

Nettles need good soil to grow, Ian, so you are on to a good plot there! I would suggest that you don't try to rid the entire allotment of weeds in your first year but just concentrate on, say, a third and cultivate that thoroughly. The remainder you could cover with black plastic or thick cardboard to smother the weeds until you are ready to tackle them. Good luck in your labours, you won't regret getting an allotment!
Geoff
KG Regular

Welcome but if you want some more detailed advice later it might be an idea to amend your profile to tell us where you are.
Ian White
KG Regular

Thanks for the welcome Geoff,i am never very good at those profile thing's but i am in Slough,Berkshire.

All the best,Ian
Elaine
KG Regular

Welcome from me too Ian. :D
When we took our plot 6 years ago, it was covered in a forest of weeds as tall as me...(5'3") my husband could just see the top of my head when I stood in the middle of it! :shock:
We bought a petrol strimmer and cut the lot down to ground level,(though some very mature docks needed cutting with a hacksaw!) which made the whole thing look more "do-able" to start with and not quite so daunting. We could see what we were dealing with and it was very encouraging to see ground instead of a forest! :lol: That strimmer was the best bit of kit we have ever invested in!
We worked a bit at a time and as soon as some ground was ready, we planted crops in it and by the time we had reached the end, we were harvesting our first crops.

The best bit of advice we give to anyone new to allotments, is, don't try to do too much at once or it becomes a chore, not a pleasure.
Within the first year, we had a respectable looking and productive plot. Five years on, I rarely have to buy vegetables and we are still as keen as we were when we started out.

You will find a wealth of friendly, helpful advice on this forum and don't ever be afraid to ask what you think is a "daft question"!
Good luck and happy gardening!
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I was going to say whay Monica and Elaine have said about not doing too much in the first year. You might think of dividing the plot into three parts; dig over the first part as soon / quickly as you can and get growing on it. The second part you can then dig over gradually during the first year and maybe put in late spuds or a green manure as you clear. The third part can be used for heaping up all the stuff you have cleared from the first 2 parts. The compost heap will then smother the grass,weeds etc under it, and when you clear it away you'll have the third part ready and waiting for you - and very easy to dig.

Are you going to cultivate traditionally or with raised beds? Organically or not? I've become a fan of raised beds and huge amounts of mulch. I use cardboard or old newspaper to put on the bed and compost / well-rotted manure / rotted leaves on top of that. To sow beans, just make a hole in the cardboard through the mulch; for carrots etc I will slit the cartdboard through the mulch and sow into the slit; ditto lettuces.

If you are going for raised beds and paths, dont make the mistake i did. Construct the beds on level ground instead of digging a ridge up from the path. My wooden sides have rotted quickly from being sunk into the soil.

Good luck, anyhow. There's nothing like eating your own produce.
mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Ian White
KG Regular

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Guys,it all went very well i now have a 8.5 pole allotment,sorry but i have no idea what that is in feet and inches :oops:, i am like a 10 year old at Xmas carnt wait to get started :)

Off to Argos at the Weekend need an Petrol Strimmer :lol:

All the best,Ian
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well that is good news Ian, hope you enjoy yourself. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic