Opening the door to the greenhouse

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elle's Garden
KG Regular

I wonder if I can call on the more experienced greenhouse owners to advise me - should I be opening the door to the greenhouse during the day at this time of year? :?: I have my overwintering strawberry plantets, some winter spring onions, winter lettuce, garlic in tubs, and that is about it. I have been opening the door on the lovely days, but am not sure on our more typical autumn wet days. What is good practise? It also has one small window that I can open. It is only 6 x 4ft.

Thanks
Kind regards,

Elle
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Elle

If you invest in an automatic window opener you can leave the door shut and (generally) the greenhouse to look after itself.

My door stays firmly shut at this time of year, but if the sun does come out the window may crack open a little, but not often it has to be said :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Hi Chantal,

I may find an automatic thingy (steady OH :lol: ) under the Christmas tree, but for now it will have to be me! :)

Thanks
Kind regards,

Elle
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Elle, i'm being as steady as i can. :) :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Elle, contrary to Chantal, I open my greenhouse door every morning except on very windy days and when there is freezing fog. We do have a door covered in fine netting which is closed when when the sllding door is open, to keep out birds (and cats which might be following them!). The automatic vent is brilliant for very warm days when it starts to open once the greenhouse temperature reaches about 20 degrees but I don't think I have ever seen it working between about October and March!

Inside the greenhouse are similar crops to yours and also some spring bulbs in pots and slightly tender perennials like lemon verbena and French tarragon..
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm a door open person too, all apart from the coldest, dampest days.
My greenhouse seems to be full of one thing or another all year, and i have found with more ventilation there has been less problems with Botrytis.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I'm a door open person too.

Are you sure your steady? :lol: :lol:

Seriously, thank you for the words of wisdom, I appreciate you all. :D
Kind regards,

Elle
Chantal
KG Regular

Isn't it strange how we all differ :lol:

I rarely have the door open during the winter, grow my onions seeds and all sorts of other stuff in there and very rarely suffer from botrytis.

However, although has been my habit for years, it's not one I can easily change now as the chickens would be straight in and eating everything! My only problem used to be marauding squirrels, but I found that leaving on the radio sorted them out :roll:, now I have to put net over the door in the summer.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic