Is there anything I can plant now in the Polytunnel?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

I have a 8' x 12' PT. I had toms, cucumbers and aubergines in it for the summer. I have about 24 lettuces still to pick and I have sown some more lettuce seeds a couple of weeks ago. But I would really like to keep things going in the PT for the winter. Any suggestions please. Is it worth planting beans/peas to over winter or is it not worth it.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Catherine

Look in the 'undercover' section in the mag. This edition has
particularly lots of info. I don't have a tunnel but would love
one that's why I read it with interest.

There is nothing to stop me getting one on the plot but I
have an awful fear that the adders will find it too warm and
comfortable and end up in there as the only spot to put it
is down by the fence where they sunbath.

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

We don't have a polytunnel but do have a greenhouse and when we first got that, being dead keen, sowed and planted all kind of veggies, as recommended for growing "under cover" in winter. They didn't die, but I can't say they thrived either. Although the greenhouse is in an open area, not shaded and gets the sun from early morning until almost sunset in winter, I think it was the lack of light which held things back. Even winter lettuce took "ages", that is about 3 months, to come to anything remotely edible.

So, the last few years, I have restricted the edible plants to herbs which appreciate a bit of shelter and, non-edible, fragrant violas, a few primroses and lots of spring bulbs which always cheer the place up in early spring and flower just that bit earlier than outside.
Catherine
KG Regular

I think that the answer is to have a rest from going and watering in the pt till next year. I do have some small lettuces and my cucumber is still going I have two smallish cucumbers on it. Not for long I think. The tomatoes have been really disappointing this year. I am not sure I will do them next year, tasteless, and eventually blighted. The aubergines (baby Rosetta I think) and cucumbers (baby ones again but I cant remember which ones unless I get the packet out, did really well. Maybe that is the way to go. Unless someone can suggest some absolutely fantastic toms which will work every time for taste and no blight I think I might leave it this next year and concentrate on other things. I started alot of plants in the PT this year.
I might concentrate on more bedding and perennial plants as all mine did really well. We shall have to see.
John
KG Regular

Hello Catherine
As Monika says herbs are a possibility. I always pot up several late sown parsley plants and dig up a few small clumps of mint and pot these up as well for growing on during the winter. They usually do well in my large cold frame which is the nearest I have to a pt. Its great to have fresh mint and parsley in the cold weather.
If you have any chard plants these could be overwintered under cover and will give you very useful early pickings. You could try some of the oriental vegetables like Mizuna or Mibuna as these could be sown now and will give leafy pickings in all but the worst weather.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

John wrote:You could try some of the oriental vegetables like Mizuna or Mibuna as these could be sown now and will give leafy pickings in all but the worst weather.

I can particularly recommend Mizuna for a robust overwintering salad. To that list I would like to add Land Cress, Lamb's Lettuce (Corn Salad), Coriander and Wild Rocket. They combine into a fabulous salad. I don't rate winter lettuce: it's always watery, and it's a martyr to botrytis (grey mould). I enjoy the peppery leaf of Green-in-Snow and Red Giant mustard, but they need to be ameliorated in a salad with other, milder, leaves. These are all hardy enough to grow outside (yes, even the coriander) but growing them with a bit of protection keeps the weather from damaging and dirtying the leaves.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Catherine
KG Regular

Right well I have got both Mizuna and Mibuna in my seed box so I will get them planted tomorrow and see how I go. I have also got a big patch of Mizuna outside do I need to cover with a closh for the winter. It is very healthy at the moment.
Geoff
KG Regular

If you are practising rotation don't forget some of these oriental salad are Brassicas and very prone to clubroot.
Catherine
KG Regular

Hi Geoff, do you mean Mizuna and Mibuna? I thought they were just types of lettuce. Or maybe I am being a dope today. (possible) :(
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Catherine

Yes, he does. Mizuna and Mibuna are Japanese mustards and, like almost all oriental "salads", they are brassicas.
Catherine
KG Regular

Thanks Alan I did not know that. I shall be more careful when I plant out next year. You learn something everyday. :) Do I need to cover the outside ones with an open ended cloch then to protect it from the frost?
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Catherine

Nowadays I grow my mizuna and mibuna in the polytunnel and they survive the winter. When I used to grow them outside they usually died. The main enemy in winter outside is not cold but wet (as with so many overwintered things) - it's just as cold (sometimes colder) in the tunnel, but the leaves are dry. Last year they - and all the other orientals - survived being frozen solid (-8C) on many occasions.

Having said that, I wonder if it is not a little late to sow now. I sowed second week in September and they are now planted and well established.
The only thing I have sowed so late is cress and salad rocket (early November) and they don't really get going much till the lighter days arrive in the new year.

But anything's worth a try. As my old allotment colleague used to philosophise: "Seeds don't grow in the packet."
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Catherine, sorry your tomatoes were so disappointing, I found tomatillos and cape gooseberries, useful if toms fail as they are not subject to blight.
Last edited by Nature's Babe on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Catherine
KG Regular

Thank you NB I might try them next year. Sorry not to reply sooner, just got back from holiday.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Catherine, I have saved some cape gooseberry seeds if you would like some.
let me know. I tried a shorter plant variety this year but fruits were smaller too, luckily some from the previous years crop self seeded, so I was able to save seed for next year.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic