Cloches

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tigger
KG Regular

Can anyone remember which edition of KG has the article about making cloches for raised beds using water pipe? I can remember reading it and storing the info away but now we have the pipe, I can't find the instructions!
Stephen
KG Regular

I can not remember the article but the usual method is:-
Make a frame of timber to the required dimensions.
Along the long edges drill holes to the diameter of the pipe.
Bend the pipe into an arch with the ends in the holes.
Cover with the material of your choice.

If you want a high cloche, you may need to put a rib along the top of the pipes to stop them from toppling over.

Examples http://www.growsonyou.com/brinleym/blog/4163-my-home-made-cloche-how-it-was-made and http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=51492.0

If you don't want a large fixed 3D object kicking around (which is my reservation on the approach then you need to come up with something a little different.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Tigger
KG Regular

Thankyou. :)
Geoff
KG Regular

If you make bed edges out of 6" boards you can put plastic pipe clips inside the boards with something below them, a block of wood or just a screw, then arch the pipes between the boards. You can stiffen the arches with a string from end to end. I would take a photo of the bed I've made this way but the Sweet Corn are blocking the view somewhat, It is in the greenhouse and I remove the plastic and hoops in the summer. Was it a Joyce Russell article you were looking for or are you remembering a more detailed one?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic