chicken manure in compost

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Hi all,

I have half a dozen chickens and a rabbit. I am now adding their manure to the compost heap, does this affect how soon the compost can be used? Will it burn plants if used too soon?

Many thanks,
Kind regards,

Elle
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi Elle, I put all my hen hut cleanings, droppings plus shavings in the compost and it makes it heat up and break down quickly. I mix it with everything else and turn it a couple of times before it is ready.

I've not had any problems with it burning anything and it makes a nice rich compost.
alan refail
KG Regular

With 40-50 chickens and ducks, my compost is about 50% droppings and shavings. If they weren't free-range the proportion would be more like 80%. With household and plant waste it takes about 6-9 months to rot down, though 12 months or more gives a better end product.
There is a lot of talk about chicken manure "burning" plants, but it could only do this if fresh - and would you want to put fresh wet smelly droppings near plants? I do notice that what comes straight from bum to field never seems to "burn" grass or other plants.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Thanks for the replies, I have high hopes for the compost next year, although sadly we may be down to just 5 chucks, next doors dog has just savaged one :( She may be ok, our best friend (vet) is coming tonight so we will wait and see, but she has a rather nasty gash in her back.

The chickens have an entire 2 acre field to themselves, but insist on finding small gaps to squeeze through to reach a far more exciting stream bank. :x Our 4 dogs are all working shoot dogs, but we have pursuaded them that the chickens are not to be touched and usually they are pretty good (the electric fence we first had when we reintroduced the chickens after a couple of years gap may have helped). However, my otherwise perfect Golden has a mouth like a rat trap and if he had reached her it would already be curtains!!

Oh well, fingers crossed and wait for friend to come ...
Kind regards,

Elle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic