Worms in polytunnel

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

columbine
KG Regular

Hi all
This is my first post here. We live in West Wales and have had a 10x20 ft polytunnel for about 3 weeks. As the ground is clay and stony we have made raised beds and filled them with bought-in loam and council compost. My question is: what about worms? Is it absolutely essential to have worms in the soil and, if so, can I just dig some up from the surrounding garden and pop them in to the poly beds? I wonder if the soil there might be too hot for them!
All advice welcome.
Columbine
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Columbine, welcome to the forum.

I'm sure the worms will find there own way up into your raised beds if the situation is right for them.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
columbine
KG Regular

Oh, sorry, I completely forgot to mention that we had put down a thick weed suppressant fabric before adding the soil and compost, so no chance of worms getting in that way.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Columbine, it's not essential to have worms in the beds, but you could introduce some, and if they like it there they will reproduce.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
John
KG Regular

Hello Columbine
With worms its a sort of spontaneous generation - they simply appear from nowhere. If they like it in your tunnel then they will stay. Its usually lack of moisture that drives them away (or deeper) rather than high temperatures.
As others have said your soil will be perfectly OK without them but when they are there its a good sign that your soil/compost is in excellent condition.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
columbine
KG Regular

Thanks to all who replied. I have added a couple of worms from the garden and will see what happens.
Columbine
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic