Half done

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Happymouse
KG Regular

I have put my green house on wood on top of bricks. How do I secure it to stop it blowing away ? I have no instructions as it is second hand. I have tried to attach a photo of it. It is made of green metal
Attachments
g base 500.jpg
g base 500.jpg (169.92 KiB) Viewed 4764 times
Make it a habit to be happy
seedling
KG Regular

Could you drill holes down thru the green house into the wood/brick and secure it with screws like that ?

Seedling
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Happymouse, have you screwed the metal base frame of the greenhouse to your wooden base, if not this would be the first job, there should be predrilled holes in the metal base, if not you will have to drill some.

It looks from the photo that you have laid the bricks straight on the ground with no mortar between them, if this is the case you won't be able to fix your wooden baseframe to them.
To get over this, you could drive some wooden stakes into the ground on the inside of the greenhouse next to your wooden base frame then screw or nail the stakes to the wooden baseframe, you could use metal stakes instead of the wooden ones but it will start to get more complicated when coming to fix them to the wooden baseframe.

However you go about it, do make sure the greenhouse is square, measure from corner to corner and adjust until the measurements are the same, and also make sure it is level all round, you can make slight adjustments by packing the wooden base up off the bricks with bits of slate or anything that won't rot easily.
An hour spent getting this right will make it so much easier when you come to glaze the greenhouse.

If there is anything you don't understand, don't be scared to ask. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
macmac
KG Regular

Hi Happymouse, my hubby suggests posts at each corner driven in securely and fix ghouse to them.Don't do it after draining any of the demijohns also in the pic :lol:
just seen OHs reply so much better than mine :(
sanity is overrated
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear macmac, you made it sound a lot easier than i did. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Happymouse
KG Regular

Thank you all I will do it now. The demi johns are protecting my raspberry bushes from my son's Weimaraner puppy. He is the reason I have the greenhouse too ! He has chewed 4 branches off the apple tree which is still in the greenhouse. He is a lovely dog but..........
Make it a habit to be happy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic