Need more wire hoops for my cloches

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Nearly 30 years ago (Yes, long time, but I don't throw things out !) I bought some clear polythene tunnel cloches made of corrugated plastic, each about a yard long, which fitted into wire frames which look like an upside down U with a cross bar at the bottom which were used to support the polythene cover.

Some of the wire frames are now breaking apart.

Does anybody recognise these and know where I can get some replacement wire frames? (Don't need the corrugated clear covers.)
John
KG Regular

Hello Primrose
I had some these as well all those years ago. They are the best cloches I've ever had. Mine are still going strong though but with newer sheets of corrugated plastic. Even the wire hoops have kept their galvanising and hardly show any rust.
I got them by mail order and seem to remember that the company was called 'Progress ...?' and the plastic sheets they supplied were by ICI Novolux. I haven't seen anything like them around now for a long, long time though.
The nearest thing to them around at the moment seems to be the 'Longrow Super Cloche' but they're very expensive aren't they?
John
darrenc
KG Regular

Try your nearest farmers merchant and ask for 2 or 3mm galvanised fencing wire. I bought a 100mt roll a long time back for a tenner and use it for cloche hoops, hooks, pegs for fastened ground covers it has loads of uses as well as fencing.
Deb P
KG Regular

Lurking in amongst a load of brambles on my new plot, I found several rusted objects that I thought looked a bit like man-traps! :shock: I put them aside, and was going to take them to the tip.

Then I realised, they are a type of metal cloche support that you describe! These don't have a bottom bar, but are like a double 'U', with the plastic fitting between. A few have handles on the top as well, and I found some corrugated plastic hiding in the air raid shelter to make three complete sets.

Although they are quite rusty, hopefully will be ok for a few years if I am careful. I hope you find some new ones, but without your description, I would have thrown them away....so thank you! :D
richard p
KG Regular

ive got some which are made from flat metal stip about half inch by an eigth. i think a friend of the wife's father made them. anything which will hold the plastic sheet in a tunnel shape will do, even a couple of loops of thick string. the plastic sheets are standard corrugated plastic roofing sheets easily found in diy stores.
Allan
KG Regular

I have many Chase glass cloches , even on those it is not impossible to manufacture any spare wire parts. You need various pliers, maybe a vice and hammer and time to do it. The most tricky on mine is the handle with several bends, small loops and a slightly springy wire, most are . Fencing wire comes in several gauges, if not obtainable locally look at Jackson's fencing website. The one bit I haven't tackled is spot welding but most car servicing workshops or agricultural engineers may help you there.
Have a go, what have you got to lose.
Allan
Beryl
KG Regular

Strong wire hoops can be purchased from
http://www.lbsgardendirect.co.uk/

Not cheap but will last a life time

Beryl.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Beryl,
To say the least they are not cheap! I wondered what the Harlow tunnel was priced at and what a surprise.
I got a larger greenhouse for £70.00. less from Greenhouses Direct a couple of years ago. This price included an extra of double sliding doors.
I didn't look at anything else as I don't need anything but I am perfectly sure they are all obtainable somewhere else at a far more advantageous price. (not referring to the hoops)
Sincerely, JB.
JB.
Beryl
KG Regular

Looking in their latest catalogue the 60" hoop (which is the one I use) are £38.50 per pack of 50, plus VAT and delivery - works out to approx £1.00 each.

My first lot I went shares with a neighbour but found 25 wasn't enough - we ordered another lot.

I found trying to make do with DIY jobs - blue piping etc. was more trouble. For me they are an investment.

But I agree, I am sure there are cheaper versions out there somewhere.

Beryl.
John
KG Regular

Hello Primrose
Are you still looking for hoops for cloches?
Just found these

http://www.storeflatcloche.co.uk/

They are like the ones that Deb describes - a double U hoop that you slide your sheet into and doesn't have that annoying cross bar that gets in the way of the plants. These people seem to be only selling the whole kit - no mention of separate hoops but worth asking.

Hope this helps.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Primrose
KG Regular

John - thank you so much for remembering my earlier enquiry. I've e-mailed them to enquire whether they sell the hoops separately. One or two of my old ones are now snapping where the cross-bar joins them at the bottom and they're quite difficult to repair, so I'll wait to see their response.
John
KG Regular

Please let me know what they say as I'd be interested in getting some more hoops as well.

John

Hint to KG mag if you're watching: This seems an excellent cloche design and deserves a mention in the 'news' feature at the beginning of the mag.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
Primrose
KG Regular

John - will let you know when I receive a reply but will be temporarily off air as I'm going go into hospital for a keyhole knee operation this afternoon. However, I suspect they may not want to sell part of the package as this will mean less profit for them and they probably make a big mark-up on the plastic sheets.
John
KG Regular

Best wishes for your op., Primrose.

John
John
KG Regular

Hello Primrose
Thought I'd just bump this thread up to the top.
Did you get any luck with the 'stayflat' cloche people.
I've a few sheets of corrugated plastic doing nothing and some hoops would be useful.
Can you get separate hoops.

John
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic