Paraffin greenhouse heater

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Thanks JB,

I will try leaving the wick a little longer and see how that goes. As long as it doesn't smoke I suppose it is OK.
Kind regards,

Elle
John
KG Regular

I have some of those smaller frame heaters. I find it best to come back about 30 minutes after lighting up just to do a final adjustment of the flame when the heater has had a chance to warm up. Also keep the wick neatly trimmed across the top.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Elle,
I think you have misunderstood what I mean. I do not mean the wick where you light it I mean the other end which is not long enough in the reserve of paraffin. So when the Paraffin reserve is full the wick lights but the wick is too short in the paraffin reserve so although the oil is in the reserve the wick is not emersed and the syphon is broken and the flame goes out!
Sorry Elle I think I am making a right fist of explaining this perhaps somebody else might make a better job of it than me!
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Johnboy, i think Elle will understand what you are getting at now.

I was going to put a reply on last night, as to what i thought you meant, but i too struggled to find an easy way to put it.

Just one more thought, it not a lack of oxygen is it?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi OH,
Must confess had not given that a thought but you have a very very valid point there. A greenhouse like a virgins retreat is not a good thing and ventilation plays an essential part of growing. Good call!
JB.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Thank you boys, I see now with the wick - but it is not the case as the wick is brand new and dangling all the way to the bottom and then some. I did wonder about the ventilation - but for my second trial it was outside in a sheltered corner, so I don't think it that either. I will keep trying to get it right, but I am worried that I will have plants relying on it next month and the thing will go out! What time do you normally light yours?
Kind regards,

Elle
Geoff
KG Regular

If it is going out with plenty of wick still showing it is running out of fuel for some reason. Either the wick isn't "wicking" properly (don't know how you can cure that, massage to separate fibres and get the paraffin into it?) or the fuel is not right (Is it fresh? Contaminated with water?).
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,

No, the wick is burnt right down which suggests it is not long enough to start with - but then the flame will be higher than seems to be indicated. I don't know - it seems rather complicated for something that should be quite easy. I will keep trying. :|
Kind regards,

Elle
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

My problem was all sorted when I shortened the wick! My dad showed me how low it should be and low and behold it worked perfectly for the couple of weeks that I needed it. Somehow it seemed counter-intuitive to me, but matched the instruction pictures perfectly and all was well.
Kind regards,

Elle
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Elle,
Glad you have got it all sorted out in time. Good old Dad!
JB,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic