Paraffin greenhouse heater

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

MKPoshfan
KG Regular

no it most certainly does NOT - I support the one and only GENUINE Posh who have been Posh since 1934
OrganicMum
KG Regular

I too have just acquired a paraffin heater which I use in the greenhouse on cold nights. I have read that paraffin gives off CO2 as it burns and that this benefits the plants.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Organic Mum,
Certainly Paraffin Heaters do give off CO2 which is fine for established plants but not so good for seedlings of any kind.
Modern greenhouses do not have the the same cracks and gaps allowing for ventilation. Ventilation is very important because apart from CO2 plants need a very good supply of Oxygen which CO2 has a tendency to blanket cover out which will suffocate your plants.
JB.
Colin_M
KG Regular

I have a medium sized one that I don't need any more - still in fine working order.

Let me know if you're interested
Colin_M
KG Regular

Colin_M wrote:I have a medium sized one that I don't need any more - still in fine working order.

This has now gone,
gowerbass come gardener
KG Regular

I USE A LARGE CANDLE ,DOES THE JOB IN KEEPING IT FROST FREE
a bad days fishing beats a good days work
MKPoshfan
KG Regular

anyone got an idea why my heater has suddenly started throwing soot out? Murphy's Law states, naturally, that it waited till AFTER I'd thoroughly cleaned the greenhouse out for spring, but the next day the entire house was coated with soot and the wicks are choked with it - any suggestions would be gratefully received. By the way, no, it wasn't the first time I'd lit it this winter/spring and it wasn't short of paraffin.
Monika
KG Regular

Sounds to me as if you had the wick burning too fiercely. It should only give out a gentle, even blue flame without flares. I would clear the wick so that its surface is completely level and then start again.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi MKPoshfan,

Sounds like you turned up the wicks to high :o what kind of heater is it :?:

Regards

Kevin :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Colin_M
KG Regular

OrganicMum wrote: I have read that paraffin gives off CO2 as it burns and that this benefits the plants.

I believe that in addition to CO2, these heaters may also give off a small amount of Ethylene. This gas is quite important in hastening the ripening of various fruit.

I remember reading about a market gardener who decided to replace all his "old fashioned" paraffin heaters with swanky modern electric ones. He found the next year's tomato crop very disappointing - probably because the crops weren't getting that final lift to help them ripen quickly.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
I would like you to think carefully about this one.
Can you tell me of any grower who has a paraffin heater in operation when the fruits are ripening?
JB.
MKPoshfan
KG Regular

hi Kevin. not sure of the model number now but it is a Parasene one with a double wick and a 'chimney' to diffuse the heat; and I don't THINK I turned the wick up - I only lit one - more than millimeters more than I normally set it if any more.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi Colin,
I would like you to think carefully about this one.
Can you tell me of any grower who has a paraffin heater in operation when the fruits are ripening?
JB.

John, you are a master of tact! :oops:

This in fact came from my "A" level biology course (so you can imagine how many years ago that was). It was used to provide a background illustration for the effects of ethylene on ripening. Of course then back at school, we just accepted what the teacher told us (not having done any serious gardening, I never stopped to think).
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

I lit my Parasene Superwarm 4 last night just to give it a test - first time out! I set the flame & wick height according to the (rather basic) picture in the (equally basic) instructions. However, the flame had gone out this morning. So I set it again to see how long it lasts, and with the flame set at the height of the bridge it stayed lit for about 2 hours. I assume I am doing something wrong - any suggestions?
Kind regards,

Elle
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Elle,
It sounds to me that the wick is too short and when a certain amount of oil is used the syphon action ceases and the flame goes out for lack of oil.
If not I am as mystified as you. :wink:
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic