PollyTunnel

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

DahlisMarie
KG Regular

PolyTunnel??? :?: Sounds like something a parrot has dug a hole in :!:
Seriously, have not heard of these and am most interested. Are they only for potato or other root vegetable growing :?:

DahlisMarie
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear DahlisMarie,
A poly tunnel(note the one l) is short for polythene tunnel. This is a large sheet of plastic stretched over two or more large hoops and the excess sheeting is held down by strips of wood at the base or is dug into a trench around the perimeter of the structure. Doors are in either end and the polythene is stretched around the door frame to ensure a tight fit.
There are pros and cons of these structures versus a normal glasshouses which someone else can list of they so wish. If you want to learn more use a search engine and type in the word polytunnel.
Regards Sally Wright.
vivie veg
KG Regular

DahlisMarie,

You may not have heard of Polytunnels because their main function is to keep the plants inside warmer than the outside. I our British summer this can be above 45 degrees Celcius with doors open at both ends, in which case the plants are certainly TOO hot. I dread to think what temps you'd get in Aussie :!:

They are a God send to us as we can grow things later in the Autumn and earlier in the Spring than otherwise, and start off those tender plants two or three months earlier than if we were growing them outside.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
DahlisMarie
KG Regular

Yes, I know the ones now. Large plastic domes, like Nissan huts. I have seen some near some orchards back towards Sydney! I think I got mixed up in my mind (nothing new) when I was reading one of the forums about potato growing and they were talking about feeling for the potato growth with their hands. I thought it was this polytunnel they were talking about and it was something long and low you grew potatoes in. On the right track now! Thanks :)
always_mowing
KG Regular

Hi.

You could try the fleece polytunnel which keeps things slightly cooler as it shades the sun and lets any breeze through..probably best in oz than regular poly.

hope it helps.
Tom.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic