Tomato or triffid?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

David
KG Regular

Hi all

I'm growing some marmande in the greenhouse (and outside) and they are massive with many arms all with fruit or flowers.

I'm thinking there must be a limit to what they can support and wonder if anyone has advice on how many arms, trusses or fruit might be the limit?

Thanks

David
Allan
KG Regular

Have a look at American practice of using 'tomato cages'. It seems to me an alternative suitable for these large plants. Something similar can be made from lengths of wire stock fencing. It worked quite well on Black Krim which has a flavour of its own and a wild habit of growth.
Allan
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

I've got marmande too and they seem to want to grow in a 'bush' fashion even though I've read that they're cordons. I've been nipping out side shoots but wonder if I should stop doing this and just let them get on with it. Any thoughts?
richard p
KG Regular

ive had a couple where the lead shoot has stopped in a fruit truss at about 3 foot, then they have continued to throw shoots from lower down
Allan
KG Regular

Going back to your original question, from about this date there would not be any advantage in allowing any new trusses to set and concentrate on the needs of the earlier ones with light, air, feed and of course support.
Allan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic