Planning the creation of a new allotment

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ovendoor
KG Regular

I'm trying to find a list of "do's and don't" for the creation of a new allotment initially starting from the locating of land and subsequent documents that need to be submitted to the council for permission. Failing that list, any information from others that have gone through that initial process would be very useful.
Thanks, Ian.
Allan
KG Regular

This topic group is really intended for those growing in 'structures'
However your best bet is to go to
www.nsalg.org.uk
There may also be some help via the allotments regeneration initiative. They do free factsheets.
www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari
Allan
ovendoor
KG Regular

Thanks for the info Allan.

Had I found an index "Growing places - allotments" I'd have used it!

Been to both sites you mention and found nothing relating to start-ups, but thanks for the info. I'll be emailing them however to see if they can suggest an action plan.

For anyone in the same position as me who's reading this, it's been suggested to get hold of "The Allotment Handbook" by Sophie Andrews. Amazon has loads and the summary looks promising.

Regards
Ian
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Ian,
Do you think that contacting the office of The Deputy Prime Minister might help you. There has been mutterings from that direction about Allotments recently.
Don't expect to speak to John Prescott 'cos he'll be off somewhere enjoying himself if recent press reports are at all accurate!!
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

In that case I would phone the NSALG and ask to speak to an official, surely they must know what is the next move. I should think Geoff Stokes secretary.is the first one to try but anyone on 01536 266576 should be able to point you in the right diection.
The NSALG spends much of its efforts defending existing sites so they are only going to be a stepping-stone.
I am still woundering about the people on the allotment and kitchen garden forum. Have a look at www.kitchengardens.dial.pipex.com. it might inspire you.
old weed
KG Regular

Johnboy.........remember you too were at one stage
just starting out........its help he wants not
cabaret .
There but for the grace of god go I.
ovendoor
KG Regular

Thanks Johnboy, John P's website: http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1127689
does have some good general allotment information, though nothing very specific about planning and change of land use.

Allan, your link lists a shed load (ahem) of location specific websites - I'll trawl that lot later to see if they have a best-practice procedure for start-ups.

The Allotment Regeneration Initiative (www.farmgarden.org.uk) have suggested that one of their "Mentors" might be able to help for which I have asked my details to be passed.

That's ok old weed, it made me smile which is more than email allotment conversations between me and the local council have done!
Allan
KG Regular

I have remembered someone who might know about these things. Dr Richard Wiltshire of King's College, also Uplands Allotments and the QED allotments movement should know about it if anybody does. He has been on various government committees studying the situation. Stephen Griffiths, moderator of the kitchengardens e-list will have his e-mail address. I may find it if I can trawl back far enough, if so I can hand it on to you.
peter
KG Regular

I'm absoutey sure that the ARI site will have relevant advice on one of its Factsheets.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Ovendoor,
The Change of Useage is dealt with by your Local Authority through normal planning proceedures but they of course cannot help you with the finding and acquisition of the land but they would be the people who would grant change of usage.
I am at that stage with my LA with the this on my property and they are as usual being bloody awkward.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic