green house glass

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

seedling
KG Regular

Can anyone tell me if its worth spending the extra money on greenhouse glass rather than the ordinary type? What are the differences/advantages? After the hassle I( have had with the Norfolk greenhouse (still not returned or refunded :x ) I want to make sure I get it right when I buy the next one
Thanks Seedling
Piglet
KG Regular

Standard greenhouse glass is thin, breaks easilly but is as cheap as chips.

If you buy glass that is a bit thicker (either 4mm or 6mm) it will thus be slightly less fragile but much more expensive.and I dont feel that the extra expense will be justified as whichever one you choose, hit it with a hoe etc and it will break.

Another (expensive) option is polycarbonate but this gets brittle after a few years in the sun and will go opaque, reducing the light getting in.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
Kindest Regards, Piglet

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
sandersj89
KG Moderator

One reason not to use horticultural glass is that it is soooo thin and when it breaks it forms horrible daggers of glass. I have 2 kids running around the garden and it is not worth the risk so have opted for toughened glass, more expensive but safe.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Piglet
KG Regular

Your quite right Jerry, our home greenhouse is near our party area and has been planted in front of to keep people away a little. However even 6mm glass will just break into shards if you fall against it and proper toughened glass is hugely expensive.
Kindest Regards, Piglet

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
seedling
KG Regular

I thought the greenhouse glass would be toughened. This is complicated. why cant the answer be obvious :?:
Seedling
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Most, but not all, standard greenhouse glass is not toughened, it is call horticultural glass and very thin. Thinner than you would have in a standard window in your house. The reason being is it is cheaper.

Ask the supplier and they will let you know what type of glass is included.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
peter
KG Regular

From looking, keenly, earlier this year at new greenhouses, it seemed to work out at about an extra £90 for an 8'x6' to have toughened safety glass.

If you already have the house and are worried, you could think strategically. :)
e.g.
The hedge side doesn't need it, the footpath side can have a 4' high square trellis fence and put safety glass in both ends.

Hope that helps.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Carole B.
KG Regular

I have just spent Half term putting up a trellis around my greenhouse to keep the dogs'bums from crashing the lower panes when they do their lunatic circuit of the garden.It's about 3ft high and goes round the small veg patch on the side as well.I made it myself out of 2x1 batten and the wood cost about £80 in total including stakes to hang it on.It does the job and looks good,I'm growing climbing french beans up it now which should shade the greenhouse a bit in summer,confused the dogs though!
seedling
KG Regular

I hadnt even thought about dog problems. Mine likes to charge around the garden after a tennis ball but his brakes dont always work in time :roll: . I looked into buying a lower half wood /upper half glass greenhouse but they are far too expensive for my budget. Back to the drawing board.
Thanks for the advice and suggestions - I appreciate the help :)
Seedling
Allan
KG Regular

I always took it that Horticultural glass was the same thickness as window glass but less pure and somewhat distorting, available as 2'x2' panels or Dutch Light sizes only. I think the big boys these days have even bigger sheets to minimise the structural losses of light.
Allan
fen not fen
KG Regular

DIY plastics (web address something like diyplastic.com) sell film to stick on existing glass to stop it shattering on impact. Maybe this is an option?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic