Greenhouse - what next?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

David
KG Regular

Hi all

I have an 8x6 glass greenhouse and it is emptying rapidly as things get planted out.

I plan to keep some tomatoes and peppers in there as well as some chillis but i wonder what you would recommend to do with the rest of the space?

Thanks

David
Piglet
KG Regular

I have a big polytunnel and one 8x6 greenhouse at home and one on the plots, the one at home has cherry tomatoes in it and today the one on the plot has been planted with chillies and cape gooseberries. I toyed with a melon but decided as they are the fruit of the Devil more chillies would be better.

Any of the above would be a good use of space as would aubergines and the like.
Kindest Regards, Piglet

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm growing mizuna, mibuna and other salad greens that are flea beetle fodder in pots in one of my greenhouses, also lots of basil and at the moment some sorrel, parsley and oregano to out outside later. When I want a salad I scoot down the garden with a colandar and there's no need to even wash everything as it's clean and bug and bug spray free. :D
Last edited by Chantal on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Chez
KG Regular

We are trying some of those suggested above, for the first time this year - various melons, cape gooseberries and aubergines. We do exactly as Chantal does re the 'flea beetle' crops and are now harvesting pak choi. Next we will be sowing rocket (which flea beetle has always had outside) and cress. How about a cucumber plant?
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
David
KG Regular

I like the idea of melons and the cape gooseberries.

This morning Ive started an experiment with square foot gardening against the west facing wall of the garage. Its 2 foot by 8 and Ive planted one of each variety of tomato and lettuce that are also in the greenhouse and up the allotment as an experiment. there are also spring onions,red onions, rocket, spinach and beetroot.

I lost all of my cualiflowers and calabrese to flea beetle last year on the plot as they were just too crawly to stomach. I think I'll put a calabrese in the sq ft area to see how it does.

Do you have any otehr fruit types that will grow in the allotment?

Thans for your ideas on this, very exiting.

D
Chez
KG Regular

Blueberries (unless alkaline soil)? Huckleberries? We are growing Huckleberries outside for the first time this year. They look like small, dark blueberries and taste like bilberries - sweet, but not very tangy when cooked. Not yet sure what they are like raw. We are experimenting! :D
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic