buying a greenhouse

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

seedling
KG Regular

Hi there,
Can anyone help me. I bought a space saver greenhouse from Norfolk greenhouses. It was 2 foot by 6 foot by 6 foot so that it would fit into my handkerchief size garden. After speaking nicely to hubbie he agreed to put it up . 8 hours and a lot of swearing later it is half finished and basically its crap :( . Drill holes dont line up, the metal is flimsy etc. We`ve asked for a refund and are waiting for a response. However this still leaves me greenhouse-less.
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a good quality, easily constructed greenhouse? I fear for my marriage if the next one is rubbish as well.
Thanks Seedling :)
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Seedling, as you know I too bought a Norfolk Greenhouse some years ago, before I knew better. I tried, with the help of several friends to build it and failed. It took a guy from our local garden centre, who builds greenhouses for a living, over 6 days to put up and at the end of it we couldn't sort out the window and had several bits left over. The semi regid UPVC which is marketed as shatterproof didn't shatter but broke away in chunks everytime there was a strong wind. I used to collect the bits from nearby gardens and stick them back in with greenhouse tape. After a year there was over 4 complete rolls of tape holding it up and all the metal had gone rusty. At this point I'd had enough and demolished it. :cry:

I bought an Acorn Greenhouse from Tebbs our local garden centre which was the simplest thing to put together and is still going. I have a second one which I built entirely myself in less than a day. The great thing is that if I have a problem I can pop in and see them and the owner came out to me to answer a construction problem. I'm pretty sure they do the sort you're after too and would recomend you try them first.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
David
KG Regular

I recently put up a B&Q 8x6 ( they have smaller ones.)

There were some bits missing but to be fair to them they wrecked three more boxes finding the parts I wanted.

I also took pictures of the display ones so that I could build it ok.

They all seem to suffer from the idiots they employ to do the packing.

Quality is good and everything fitted well.

David
seedling
KG Regular

thanks guys. Chantal - Tebbs dont sell them any more cos I asked them yesterday and Ullesthorpe garden centre dont either. Thats why I wanted to know if anyone had any recommedations in case I end up ordering online again.
If anyone else has any bright ideas I would welcome them
Seedling
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Seedling

How about one from Freecycle. You will have to dismantle and move it yourself, and put it up again. It might be worth a shot and it will be free.

Try www.freecycle.org.uk and follow the links.
Lots of love

Lizzie
peter
KG Regular

lizzie wrote:Try www.freecycle.org.uk and follow the links.

It worked for Piglet I believe. :D

Not for me though :cry: , seems to vary wildly by area. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
seedling
KG Regular

I`ll give it a go but most people have bigger greenhouses than I`ve got room for. Wont know till I try though. Thanks, Seedling
peter
KG Regular

Seriously, get the biggest you can cram in.

I've got 8'x12' and thought that'll do, but I filled the staging in one go from the coldframe and propogators. :wink:

Still I've yet to sort the floor out from being lawn, he says hopefully. :)
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Tigger
KG Regular

It's a bit like a builder's estimate (whether time or money), double it and add 10%.

I should know, I'm married to a joiner/cabinet maker who always underestimates how long it will take to make something.
Chantal
KG Regular

Morning Seedling, you work fast, I've just received your advert on Freecycle. Did you know there's another place you can try that's very similar called Freebay go to http://www.thefreebay.com/? The council are promoting it, although it appears to be national rather than local and run by, guess who, ebay! There's nothing under gardening etc at the moment; I think the whole thing's pretty new, but it may be worth keeping an eye on.

See you in a couple of hours 8) :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic