olives

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Fletch

Hi All
I would like to grow olives outdoors (I live in the midlands). Any cxhance do you think? Anyone else had any success with them?
Deb P
KG Regular

I have an espallier olive tree in a pot I purchased from GWL about four years ago. I have overwintered it in my unheated greenhouse, or even indoors, but never dared leaving it outside all winter (I live in the East Midlands). It flowers well every year, but I have only had a good olive crop once; but then I probably neglect it a bit and forget to water it!
Fletch

Thanks for that Deb
If I get one I won't risk leaving it outside unless anyone else can tell me they have tried it and got away with it. They are too expensive to lose!
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Fletch,
where I work in Cambridge we have an olive growing outside in the ground. It is at least 15 feet tall and has produced some olives but they were very small (could have been the variety). However it is in a sheltered courtyard and has heated buildings behind it and it is in a southfacing spot.
If you plan on leaving an olive outside permenantly it would be better in the ground rather than a pot. You might also want to throw a blanket or something over it if the forcasted overnight temperatures are below minus 5 centigrade.
Hope these tips help.
Regards Sally Wright.
ps nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

We too have a small olive tree which has been outside for the last 2 years.

It's planted in the border, next to a Sounth facing wall (so quite sheltered).

I believe that many plants from warmer climates can actually stand our milder winters, provided they don't experience both wet and cold.

If you're worried, you could wrap them in fleece for the first winter (or if it turnds really severe).
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
Fletch

Thanks for that guys. Sounds like it would be worth a try as I have a fairly sheltered spot in the corner of two walls which faces south.
I'll have a blanket and hot water bottle ready!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic