Cane balls?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Si_hitch
KG Regular

Hi, having got fed up of trying to net our crops with net held up by canes with pop bottles on top, we have decided to invest in something more user friendly. At our allotments many make arches with blue pipe so that's an option. I have also seen cane balls and build balls. Does anyone have experience of either? Recommendations gratefully received!
Monika
KG Regular

I once heard of somebody asking a tennis club for their discarded tennis balls and punching a hole in them. Maybe that's a solution? We certainly always used empty small water bottles which lasted for years.
Westi
KG Regular

I bought some cane balls / build balls & not happy. The cane balls with lots of sized holes didn't fit many of my canes I had cut to cover the beds & the build a balls thing would not come off the canes when they perished but the protected end in the ball didn't & couldn't be dug out. I've just gone back to the bottles as fed up & cheaper to boot.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I use short bits of old hose pipe ,mainly to cover the end of a cane to stop myself locking my eye out when bending down ,I cut lengths around 75 mm or three inches if the cane is a small diameter one I put a hole right through the end of the pipe using a hammer and nail I then thread a piece of wire through the hole and wrap it around the cane to stop it sliding off
Colin2016
KG Regular

I prefer to use metal either green plastic coated (green net) or aluminium (Blue net) as find the different thickness of cans can unreliable.

Only used the blue plastic pipe on raised bed with fittings screwd to wood which worked ok but I thought costs was to much.

Have seen them used on other plots and notice how tend to fall over.
Attachments
View 3.jpg
View 3.jpg (10.52 KiB) Viewed 12511 times
onion net.jpg
onion net.jpg (14.82 KiB) Viewed 12511 times
Stephen
KG Regular

I have created a large tunnel using blue water pipe arches, which I net up, then remove for the winter. This works because it is over a single long bed of gooseberries.
Slide2.JPG
Slide2.JPG (428.71 KiB) Viewed 12060 times

On other areas, I'm using bottles on poles. This is where I have two rectangular beds, so I'm not sure I could do it as a large tunnel.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

I added the picture.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Interesting use of blue pipe to raise netting height, Stephan.
Stephen
KG Regular

The metal poles are of marginally different outside diameter, so sometimes the piping slides down. I'd like to get the tops level. I'll probably drill a hole and put a self-tapping screw to hold the pipe in place.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Have you considered cable ties?
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi Colin
Yes, I use cable ties. The blue pipe isn't very compressible (nor does it expand around the metal poles, so I haven't used them to secure the blue pipe.
I have a stock of reusable ones too, which I use to hold the netting in place.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Two ideas come to mind split the blue pipe at bottom to make it compressible or put tape around metal then attach cable tie.
Stephen
KG Regular

I also have jubilee clips to hand, but I think a screw is the preferred approach as it is least likely to snag the netting.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic