Shed Door!

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

My shed door blew open & smashed against the fence post & to add insult to injury it also rained causing it to warp & panels to drop, which now lets the rain in when secured. Now I am a 'No Nails' type of repair lady & Mr Westi will put it on his list which will take about 12 months to get around to.

I need a new door, & think I can put it on by discreetly borrowing the battery screwdriver & current hinges & frame are fine. Does anyone know anywhere you can just buy a ready made shed door for an 8' x 6' shed? I've searched loads but all too long as mine is 180 x 70 & they are coming up 200.

Any suggestions where to get one that size or for a numpty to adjust one welcomed.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Buy a piece of 20 mm plywood ask the timber merchant or shop to cut it to size for you
Monika
KG Regular

Could you not get a local carpenter to make you one? It might cost more but would last for years, especially with fittings that stop the door from blowing open again!
robo
KG Regular

My shed door was a bit flimsy so I used 20 ply and T hinges but I'm an ex joiner ,the present ply door is more secure than the original it's hard to split with a jemmy bar were tongue and grove shed doors are easily split
Westi
KG Regular

I have been mulling over this for a bit. The timber is fine, the support bits are intact but the wood panels have dropped down & somehow a bit sideways. I'm a thinking I could take it off the hinges, pull out the existing nails from the panels & re-align them all & nail them back with lots of nails with the overlap etc.

I will ask lottie neighbour tomorrow if he is down if he could do that for me! :) :)

Why did he never factor into this puzzle before? Could be that he fixed my new gate attempt, the fence saga, the plastic tunnel that blew away, the corrugated iron fence dug in under the hedge row that fell down, the compost bin that I couldn't access, the wonky net tunnel? Yep, he's my superhero & Mr Fix it but I do feel like I am taking advantage so kept him out of the equation but I actually think he enjoys it! Says me convincing myself!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Thank goodness my shed doors slide! (actually they slide very badly, they always did and are slightly worse after I moved the shed)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Had a timely chat with the neighbours wife last weekend & mentioned the door! Now she was very interested as he is getting a bit of cabin fever at home with the weather & she has been decorated & renovated up to her eyeballs over the years! Fingers crossed! I will have to find something to trade as he won't ever take any money, but I noted his wee green 'poly tunnel' cover is perishing so I think I can organise a fair trade if i take it out of the package & make it look like it 'blew' onto his plot! Or just make him take it regardless but it is difficult! Shame you're not nearby Stephen, he is the man for fixing things!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Had a timely chat with the neighbours wife last weekend & mentioned the door! Now she was very interested as he is getting a bit of cabin fever at home with the weather & she has been decorated & renovated up to her eyeballs over the years! .......Shame you're not nearby Stephen, he is the man for fixing things!

Westi, can you have him cloned and sent here please. We could do with somebody like that around here ! :lol:
Stephen
KG Regular

Westi, a kind offer to send him over! I'll wait until the summer then have a go at them. It was shifting the shed onto its new base which made them worse. It was a cheap metal shed initially but has served well and the rest of it is fit for another dozen or more and the new base is great!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic