Tomatoe Blight

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pete Spencer
KG Regular

Has anyone suffered an attack of blight this year.I once gave up growing toms outside but this year i planted some self seeders from the greenhouse into the allotment and they have been absolutely great,wonderful yield from just 4 plants and interestingly i left the vines to grow along the ground.Was i just lucky?
Best wishes,dont lose the plot.
peter
KG Regular

Generally speaking it's been a bad year for blight,as in the weather has not been favourable for blight to grow or spread.

So he underlined of been lucky,along with everyone else! :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Pete,

No blight down here but I did get several warnings. I have a self seeded cherry that comes up every year & even if I get blight on the plot this guy shrugs it off, while the others succumb. I wonder if they become more acclimatised to your wee patch which helps, and I've heard from someone on here that cherries do generally fare better as well. What type did you grow?
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I did touch on the subject of blight in another topic but, i'm hoping that next year, if we do get the appearence of blight, it will have evolved into a weaker strain, than it has been up until this year....here's hoping.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

No blight here this year,I went overboard this year after losing most to blight last year despite a couple of frosty nights my tomatoes are still going strong I've frozen around 200 for winter I've given both my daughter loads I've made soup with them and still have loads
Primrose
KG Regular

No blight here either despite several warnings. I think the long dry summer and lack of rain greatly reduced the humidity risk. Even my self sown cherry tomatoes produced lots of crops although they started ripening almost 7 weeks later than the Tumbling varieties i had planted out in early May in oatio pots.
Last edited by Primrose on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I haven't had any blight this year, it did hit my tatties the year before, but not the greenhouse luckily.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I have not heard of anyone on our site who suffered blight this year.
Had one of best u years ever for tomatoes, grown outdoors as always.

This year we had Golden Sunrise grown from seed and Crimson Crush grafted plants from Suttons. The Crimson Crush were amazingly good. Strong plants which carried large volume of heavyweight fruit

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pete Spencer
KG Regular

Hi All,thanks for the responses.Sounds like it wasnt luck at all just mother nature giving us all a year off the tomatoe blight at least.I wanted to ask the question as just for a minute there i thought i had discovered the perfect way to grow toms outside - neglect,little water,no feed,no support,no weeding.Actually given all that i reckon i WAS lucky haha.
Best wishes,dont lose the plot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic