Green House Ventilation

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

I have just got a 10ft x 6ft green house. It has one sliding door, 2 louvers & 3 windows. The louver & windows all have the automatic opening gadget.

It will be sited with main door on the 6ft width south facing end.

My thinking is one louver, centre on each 10ft side (east & west facing) & one window in the roof, again centre (east & west facing).

Not sure where to put the third window east or west?

Thinking there should be an opening on the north end, so as to give air through in any direction, but not sure if window will fit on the side, although the louver would, but I would be one short on either east or west side.

Fitting the window in the roof as near to north end as possible seems good, but which would be best east or west?

Your thoughts please.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Colin!

I have an 8x6ft with just a roof opening (with no automatic opener), & one sliding door. It is not in full sunshine all day though as it's shaded by the fig & the post in the school fence covered with ivy. In full sun it gets stonking hot in there & I water the path to stop disease, but I think the fact it gets that bit of shade allows me to get away without the extra ventilation.

I would ask what is the prevalent direction of wind/breeze in your area? That will give you the best idea to get through flow of air though the greenhouse.
Westi
peter
KG Regular

With a sliding (locks open?) door at one end I'd be inclined to put the louvres at each side far end from the door, or you'll have an airy end and a stagnant end.
That or one at the end one side and one at the other end opposite side, diagonal airflow.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thank you both for your great comments.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic