Tomato Progress

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Your sweetcorn look healthy. I planted a dozen. None of them have any cobs developing despite the top tassels having flourished and died. They were watered regularly but I think the heatwave just finished them off.
Westi
KG Regular

Looking good Tiger! Mice got my first sowings of sweetcorn, but the latest sowings are about 4' tall & I'm hoping the lack of rats this year may even mean I get a few cobs - if weather plays nice obviously, I know they are late but fingers crossed for an Indian summer!
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I have stripped most of the leaf stems off the tommies to allow what little sun we have to ripen the fruit, this has sent the plants into shock and they've thrown up new growth and more flowers, bonus if they get to ripen.
DSC02485.JPG
DSC02485.JPG (332.47 KiB) Viewed 5673 times

DSC02484.JPG
DSC02484.JPG (420.19 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

I am picking the first ripe "volunteer" tomatoes, i.e. the self sown ones which started popping up in my vegetable,patch around June, which I replanted in a spare patch and left to their own devices , just to see how they grew.

My ordinary tomatoes, ie the ones I sowed indoors and planted out in late May started cropping in July so these wild ones, left to their own devices are cropping a whole two months later. It just shows how manual intervention can produce much earlier crops, and onviously much bigger ones.
robo
KG Regular

Ive got volunteer tomatoes all round our plot I've removed most but left three or four that were not in the way ,I've been eating the tomatoes from them for a few weeks they are very sweet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic