New patch

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Rhubarbstick
KG Regular

Hi everyone new bloke here,
I'm planning to make a veg patch of about 6'x 6'. For the last umpteen years the area has been covered with concrete flags.
I've lifted these and found that the soil which looks OK has a thin layer of builders sand spread on it. My question to you experts is is
does all the sand have to be removed or can I dig it in with the topsoil ? One further thing, it looks as though mice have been using the flags as a covered walkway to another part of the garden. Any suggestions please other than getting a cat .

Thank you,

Rhubarbstick
Westi
KG Regular

Hi & Welcome New patch!

I think you need to do a test patch dig - what is the soil like under the sand, looks OK but how deep? If it is clay - dig in the sand, it it sandy through & through you could still dig in the sand but add loads of compost & manure as well! Don't worry about the mice, change the way to wherever they are going and they will find another way. But you may have to protect things like sweet corn though. The extra activity in the garden might encourage them to move to the neighbours though! :)
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

WHOA !!
If there is any volume of builders sand remove it.

If it is sharp sand it will be ok to dig in.

What are you thinking of growing in that area. Constant movement of the area may well disturb the mice enough for them to move on. If you want rid then good old fashioned traps baited with a peanut and put where other wildlife wont get at them.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Rhubarbstick
KG Regular

Thanks for your replies. I've taken the plunge and dug the remaining sand in. After being under the flags for so long the soil is compacted so it's going to take time to get it better. The only thing that I've decided up to now is runner beans at the rear of the patch against a South facing brick wall.

Rhubarbstick
Westi
KG Regular

Decisions, Decisions Rhubarbstick - fun times ahead. Wait until you master the confusion of what to grow, especially when you get free seeds with the magazine each month!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic