A view of my garden

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Good luck Nick. It's always so rewarding when things start taking shape!

Shame we haven't tigerburnie posting on here for quite a while!
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum Nick!

I forgot this thread but being basically nosey it was great to see other's achievements & even fails, but I often saw things in the background which looked like a good idea so I copied them. We must try to keep this thread active over Spring & Summer, no one is bragging about their achievements so I felt comfortable posting & happy for them as they are always helpful with advice so feel free to ask anything. I'm sure I totally drove everyone mad with the inane questions I asked when I started but every response was positive & educational from experience, not some new unrealistic fad.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

It's easy to forget that not everybody has an allotment or a large garden for vegetable growing on a big scale and one of the most interesting things, i find is to see how people rise to the challenge of growing things in small spaces. In many ways this requires a lot more ingenuity and one of the secrets seems to be keeping your growing areas really well fertilised so that you can cram a lot of plants in!
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Evening each, I have been practising with a new movie camera I have bought for my wildlife filming, I have done a few short clips in my garden that I have put on youtube for those who are not of a nervous disposition lol. I will try and add a link for you to watch........................if you wish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTCkmqgAt3c

Hope it works ok.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Good to see you back with us tigerburnie. Will look forward to viewing your latest offering.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Thanks Primrose, don't think Monty has to worry about losing his job at the BBC lol.
Primrose
KG Regular

tigerburnie Just watched. I'm another of those gardeners who finds all those plastic food punnets so useful for recycling.

I notice you seem to have some fairly tall trees in the background of your greenhouse. Do you find them a nuisance is terms of the amount of sunlight they exclude or are they located north of your location where they cause less bother? I guess for many people trying to erect a garden greenhouse there isn't always a great deal of location choice, and neighbouring trees, especially those not belonging to you can cause problems after a few years if they grow too tall, not only from a light reduction viewpoint but also from prospective damage in gales and windy conditions.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Hi Primrose, yes trees can be a slight hindrance, but as I said, the higher temperatures are avoided, so less of a temperature swing, I rarely get a high over 35 degrees due to the dappled shade from that Silver Birch, which incidentally I planted there when we first bought the house. Minimum last night was 14.5, still 20 degrees, but in a previous greenhouse, even with auto vents temps over 40 degrees occurred. I have vents that open at 20 degrees in the roof and also manual side vents, I don't leave the door open unless I'm in it due to the village cats who seem to have adopted my garden.
Westi
KG Regular

That was good to watch tigerburnie, especially peeked my interest with you using the plastic collars direct into the soil. That is a great idea that I am going to steal. When everything is growing madly, especially the toms it is hard to target just the root area due to the foliage in the way until they are established enough & showing fruit to trim the lower leaves off, but that's not an option with the peppers & melons. Also I get run off so wasted precious water.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Glad you found something of interest, I've been using the rings for the tomatoes for a few years now with no problems, never tried anything else in them, but no doubt you could grow most things that way. I feed liquid feed into the inner ring once the fruit is set, couple of times a week and daily water into the outer rings, not lost a plant yet................
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Here's another youtube video looking at my raised beds and how I made them, hope you find it of use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xir5hEVrfM
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Oh Burnie, that was marvellous….you have one of those steady voices, I could listen to for ages….my eldest Son came past while I was watching it and said, you would make a marvellous cricket commentator… :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Oh Burnie, that was marvellous….you have one of those steady voices, I could listen to for ages….my eldest Son came past while I was watching it and said, you would make a marvellous cricket commentator… :)

Is that young speak for being boring...........................lol
Thanks for the kind comment.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

An update on the greenhouse, the first film was shot almost 3 weeks ago, so this one brings you up to date, there is sound if you click on the link, hope you enjoy it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzdEDF4Rfkg
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Monty and his filming crew need to be looking out….excellent.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic