LED Growing Lights

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

KG Steve
KG Editor

Hi Folks - have any of you any experience of LED growing lights? I've heard mixed reviews and wonder if anyone out there had tried them, say for raising seedlings, and if so what their experience was. Nice stocky seedlings? Did cuttings root OK? Were they easy to set up? Any advice gratefully received! :)
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Geoff
KG Regular

Good subject. I have had good success with Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFL) using 2 x 125W lamps in a propagator. I have often wondered if when the next lamp fails I should change to LEDs (like I have in most of the house) to save energy but I have never spotted a product that looks like it will do the job. The main problem is the area they cover, I use the CFL's early morning and evening but use natural light in the middle of the day but these unit would shade the plants when they weren't on. It will be interesting to see if anybody comes up with anything.
mr-cecil
KG Regular

Has anyone come across any that would run from a car battery (and last a decent amount of time)?
robo
KG Regular

We have 12 volt leds on our boat they don't use much battery power that's why we changed
John
KG Regular

I think fluorescent tubes for growth chambers are special ones with their spectrum designed to obtain the best results. They are not ordinary f tubes. Can you get white LED lights with the particular spectrum that's needed. Also I doubt that LEDs would have the even spread of light that you get from tubes.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Geoff
KG Regular

I can't remember if there was an article after this post.
When I got my two bulbs out to test for the new season I realised I purchased them in January 2012 so, although they still work, I wondered if it was time to plan for replacement. As I said above they are 2 x 125W. I found the original suppliers and they now also sell LED systems so I asked them about an equivalent installation. I was rather surprised they suggested a 300W system for £294.95. I expected lower running costs not higher and thought the cost was a bit eye watering, the originals were £47.26 delivered. I hope they keep working!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Geoff, me and my entrepreneur Son were only talking about this subject over a coffee the other day. As in, was there a market out there for the home grower but, he thought there was too much work starting from fresh and there were also companies that have a head start.
I haven't got a lot of knowledge on LED'S but i was wondering if the 300W quote was for the equivalent amount of light and not the consumption, still sounds a lot of money....may i ask what was included in the kit Geoff?
I installed a 12volt Led system in Cooks stable and find it uses very little electric....it does have a 50 watt solar panel to keep the battery topped up....I'm sure there will be cheaper units on the market as the commercial market starts using them more. Actualy there was a very interesting snippet about LED'S, on farming today, the other morning....it was saying how they are realizing that different colours, at different stages of a plants life, can bring the cropping times forward signifacantly......I really do think LED's are going to have a huge impact on vegetable growing over the next ten years or so!!!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
rowbow
KG Regular

Hi I am using LED grow lights and they are performing well, got the LED's on a 5m role from Amazon red/blue spectrum, you will also need connectors and a 12v transformer, I found that the connectors are the ones with wires attached to enable you to bend them around corners, I cut mine in to 1m lengths then fixed them to a reflective surface on a plywood base with a frame, suspended from the greenhouse roof, the heat from lights is minimal. :mrgreen:
peter
KG Regular

Two West's & Elliot are offering Secret Jardin grow lights starting just under £50 delivered.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Geoff
KG Regular

Here's the link to what I was quoted for https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191332958154 includes discussion on colours / wavelengths.

Thanks for your replies. The lumen rating of the bulbs I have isn't on the packaging and so far I haven't been able find it out for them or the LEDs, looks like I've got some learning to do. I suppose that lot did at least reply, I sent a query to another company without response.
robo
KG Regular

There is an asvert one on Amazon for £59-99 I'm not saying it's the same but looks similar
Geoff
KG Regular

You do have to careful when you going searching for advice http://www.growweedeasy.com/led-grow-li ... row-lights

Peter, Secret Jardin look interesting products, I've emailed them for advice.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Looking at the last link Geoff, i might be looking at Police auction sites, as it looks as if there will be plenty of confiscations coming up... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
KG Steve
KG Editor

Some interesting advice there chaps. We hope to have a feature on LED lights when we can find an expert, maybe a commercial grower who has used them. My set up is below and looking a bit old fashioned now! I've been researching LEDs in anticipation of my two 125w bulbs blowing and have found some little units for around £100 that might just be big enough for my small propagation bench. They have an array of lights of different colours which all together are said to give the right spectrum for growth.
In belated answer to Johns post I used to work in commercial growing rooms that used fluorescent tubes packed quite close together in banks and they were warm white tubes. Unlike the LEDs they gave off loads of heat and the main problem was cooling the growth rooms down as they became very hot when all the tubes were on. Very old technology! :lol:

Lights 2.jpg
Lights 2.jpg (339.6 KiB) Viewed 10142 times
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Geoff
KG Regular

I received this reply from Secret Jardin in Belgium I think:

Hello Geoff,
First thank you for your interest.
Next, If your propagator is approx. 1400 x 800 x 500 high ,to have similar result than 2x125watt CFL , I recommend to use 2x42w TLED Growing version(6500K)
The length of 42w, which is 95 cm, will be more adapt for your tent than 26w TLED ,which is only 54cm.
Then the Lumens will be more extend in the propagator.

Finally 82w power will generate better result .
Benefits thanks to this light as I supposed you know are : Spectrum much more complete, Long Life product , Electricity cost, more penetration…
You will pay little bit more than CFL but it really worth it.
Product Link: http://www.secretjardin.com/catalogue/l ... duct,225,0

Don’t hesitate if you need more information
Regards

Alexandre
Aymard
Sales North UE
+33 662 156 823
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic