LED Growing Lights

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You might have hit the nail on the head OH. I bet there is lots of kit confiscated from illicit canabis factories. I was once looking for a particular sized water butt in a garden centre and a man said his friend would have what I was looking for in his hydroponics shop. He gave me directions to an address round the back of a small industrial estate and when I'd found my way in the amount of kit was amazing, watering systems, lights heaters, ventilation etc. I did feel a bit out of place among their other customers but got exactly what I was looking for at a very reasonable price. I'm sure they would know exactly the lumens, light spectrum and everything else about it.
Geoff
KG Regular

I went to one of those shops on an industrial estate near here once but thought the staff weren't really concentrating on the job in hand, can't imagine why, maybe there was something in the atmosphere.
Have you got a bit more information on those products by any chance please, rowbow?
Geoff
KG Regular

Thanks for that - links work fine.
I'll have to look more carefully but first check it is a typically poor Amazon listing (8-12m from plants??) with not enough information to make a decision, will have to see if I can find the product on a more technical site. Prices look good if they really are powerful enough.
rowbow
KG Regular

I have mine 18" above the bed, the higher you go the weaker the useful rays? :mrgreen:
gardenlvr
KG Regular

A very apropos thread as I am just thinking about doing the same thing. Living in an apartment, however, I was looking at doing something with a lightweight shelving unit and hanging some LED grow lights below each shelf. I like the low-heat and low-wattage needs of LED, especially living in a small space. However, what I'm concerned about are the lights being too intense. I was thinking about something like this:

https://bestledgrowlightsinfo.com/apoll ... ht-review/

The review says it should be 15-20" above the plants which I think could work.. and the coverage area would be fine. But as I've not used LED grow lights before, it would be great to hear of anyone's experience with it or with non-LED grow lights.

I appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thanks!
terryp
KG Regular

gardenlvr wrote:A very apropos thread as I am just thinking about doing the same thing. Living in an apartment, however, I was looking at doing something with a lightweight shelving unit and hanging some LED grow lights below each shelf. I like the low-heat and low-wattage needs of LED, especially living in a small space. However, what I'm concerned about are the lights being too intense. I was thinking about something like this:

https://www.gardeningleave.org/best-led-grow-lights

The review says it should be 15-20" above the plants which I think could work.. and the coverage area would be fine. But as I've not used LED grow lights before, it would be great to hear of anyone's experience with it or with non-LED grow lights.

I appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thanks!

Hey did you decide on what you're going to do as yet? The good news is that there's a bunch of different lighting options that will work for this. What are you planting indoors? Is it fruits or vegetables? That will help for us to better advise you.
gardenlvr
KG Regular

Thanks, Terry. I'm growing veg for the most part.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic