Sheds

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

snooky
KG Regular

When I turned 70 last December much to the annoyance of my family I didn'thave a party but decided to buy myelf as big a shed as space and money would allow.Far more sensible.I can put up 10x6 shed in my garden and have two companies in mind,one in Exeter and Tiger sheds who came recommended.The Exeter firm do a high eve Apex tanalised shed and Tiger sheds have the bog-standard Apex treated with wood preservative.I quite fancy the high eve type but is it worth forking out the extra expense for tanalised wood and the comments by Geoff and Pa Snip in the Spring Time (Confirmed)that treated wood in sheds is not lasting as long as it used to.Both suppliers give 10 year guarantees but I wonder if that is subject to them erecting the sheds.Maybe worth a phone call.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Snooky

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, You've misread my meaning.
I was referring to lengths of treated timber when agreeing with Geoff, not to sheds.

I think it important to spend the extra on sheds if you can.
A well made, treated timber tongue & groove shed out lasts ordinary overlap.

I think it would be sensible to purchase treated with a shed the size you are thinking of.
Having purchased a smaller shed than you are thinking of I have found it would have been advantageous to have gone for the high apex if I had had the option

Just re-read the last part of your post. Question comes to mind that you may wish to ask
Is the 10 year warranty subject to your having treated the timber during that time.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

That's a good birthday present, I'd go for the high apex one. I hope you have better luck with the delivery driver than I did. I asked him to drive round the corner as it was for the top garden and he got very mardy. Dropped the pieces when unloading it and refused to carry it onto the drive. Partner and son no where to be found so I had to drag it off the pavement and get it up the steps. I'll pay for installation if I get another one. :D
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Plumpudding, i always phone up the company to say thank you if i get good service, but i also ring up if i get bad service...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

When I converted this barn there was a calf shed alongside it. I dismantled it and chopped the panels about a bit and built a lean too shed against a boundary wall and put a corrugated plastic roof on it. A few years later the roof was destroyed in a storm and with the insurance money I invested in a twin wall polycarbonate roof. What a great investment that proved to be, the shed acts like a giant cold frame. I have my propagator in there and use it to raise and grow on loads of stuff. Last year I decided it was rather decrepit, rotten and full of woodworm and the roof had gone yellow so I rebuilt it. Used a 3x2 framework, clad the outside in t&g matchboard that I treated for rots and worm and lined it out with OSB and fibreglass and put on a new twin wall polycarbonate roof and made windows out of the same material. It means I now have a frost proof propagating space that works brilliantly, the roof slopes South (I might take a photograph if I can work out an angle to take it from). The reason I say all this is I wonder if you can buy shed panels without a roof? The roof with its basic felt often looks like the worst part of commercial sheds to me. If you could buy the walls and put a plastic roof on you could have the same giant cold frame as mine even if you don't go to the trouble of lining it.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Interesting idea Geoff

Since most decent sheds are 'made to order' I cant se why people could not order one without a roof. Being of a cynical nature though I bet the price difference wouldn't be reflective.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic