Planter suggestions?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Good afternoon all.

This is my 1st post, so I hope I've added it to the right place.

Just made 3 x planters for the garden (7ft x 3ft x 3ft) - One for Blackberries, One for Raspberries and One for...?

The soil will be a mixture of soil and manure - Ideally looking for something that is edible. Thought about Kiwi, but they look very hit and miss.

What can people suggest as I've not planted into planters before (can have a frame for climbers if needed). I'm planting peas elsewhere, but wasn't sure if there was a veg that would benefit from a planter?

Stonecoloured.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Even Stonecoloured, firstly, may i wish you a very warm welcome to our little forum. :)

Regarding what to plant in the third planter, well, since they are 3ft deep, "if i have read that right", you can plant virtually anything. If you kept it just for veg, you could get two, three, or even four crops of it in a year, with a little planning.

Not sure if that has helped you a lot.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

It might help us, if you could tell us where you live and also what sort of position the planters are (sunny, shady, windy etc) - suggestions for plants may depend on that.

In general, I would always suggest that you grow things you really like to eat and which might not be readily available fresh from the shops.
Primrose
KG Regular

I don't know whether you like asparagus. I don't think it would normally be recommended for a planter but 3 foot is a reasonable depth after the main picking the remaining fronds are left to grow on and are quite attractive to look at, especially if you are looking for some structure or height. Otherwise perhaps some climbing French beans up canes with some salad leaves growing around the base of the plants?
Sheppie
KG Regular

Beans would be very nice either French or wide beans. That should make a fine addition to your garden and your plate :)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You could tie some canes together and grow climbing french beans or mangetout peas or squashes or melons etc. and probably something low growing round the edges such as herbs.
Tigger
KG Regular

You could also underplant it with crops such as radish, short carrots, cut and come again lettuce, soft herbs and any mini veg (turnips, beetroot, kohlrabi, etc.).
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

3 foot deep beds ? Wow.

I need a lot of help on this one, can someone tell me why anyone would go to those lengths and what are the benefits of three-foot deep cultivation ?

I do deep digging/composting for sweet-pea and beans though I'm not entirely sure I need to. Deep-digging to me means a bit more than the a spade length but three foot ?

I've been trying to dig a sump alongside my septic tank and find it impossible to dig any deeper than about 18 inches before stuff starts rolling back.

When I buried Molly she is at least three foot deep, that was a JCB bucket that took a few scoops to get to that depth.

So what do have, raised beds with three high foot sides. Thats a lot of soil and compost. I did nine inch raised beds and felt the pain of the hard work.

18 inch raised beds ? Respect.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Good evening all,

Sorry for the silence - not been focusing on the garden due to work!

I've edited some of the replies - just so there are not pages, but have read everyone's responses and wanted to say thank you!

Monika wrote:It might help us, if you could tell us where you live and also what sort of position the planters are (sunny, shady, windy etc) - suggestions for plants may depend on that.

Based in Luton, it's in a sunny/slightly shaded area and has some wind, but not a lot (unless it's stormy).

Primrose wrote:I don't know whether you like asparagus. Otherwise perhaps some climbing French beans up canes with some salad leaves growing around the base of the plants?

Asparagus is not something I have thought of - will have a look through and see how easy/difficult they are. Could you suggest some "starter" selections? French beans also sound interesting... hadn't thought about growing crops below the "main" crop... interesting! Thank you.

PLUMPUDDING wrote:You could tie some canes together and grow climbing french beans or mangetout peas or squashes or melons etc.

Now looking at courgettes, there are some great one-ball and eight-ball plants. Thinking of growing these underneath the blackberries/ raspberries - but not sure if they'll get enough sun. What do people think?

Tigger wrote:You could also underplant it with crops such as radish, short carrots, cut and come again lettuce, soft herbs and any mini veg (turnips, beetroot, kohlrabi, etc.).

Will look into these as well.

Ricard with an H wrote:3 foot deep beds ? Wow.

18 inch raised beds ? Respect.

Thank you :)

We went for the *most* measurements, as looking to keep the planters for years and wasn't sure what we'd be planting into them over the years... Also, didn't want the Blackberries escaping or not being able to roam a bit. The planters are big! Going to take 1kg of soil per planter to fill... Doing the preservative painting and the membrane stapling over the weekend, to then fill them next month with soil.

Thank you VERY much for everyone's input! It's given me a LOT of things to think about and I've VERY excited about the thought of "underplanting". Will do my research and come back with more questions (no doubt).

Thank you for the warm welcome!
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Stonecoloured wrote:Going to take 1kg of soil per planter to fill...

Erm ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:
Erm ?

Wrong measurement - meant tonne (although we're looking at 2 x calculates, one says 1.2 tonnes and the other says 2 tonnes - so need to speak to the soil suppliers). Will try and get some pictures uploaded after they've been coated and (hopefully) had the plastic membrane stapled to the insides.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Courgettes will take some shade, I usually grow mine on the shady side of tall plants like runner beans.

MW
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Stonecoloured wrote: so need to speak to the soil suppliers). Will try and get some pictures uploaded after they've been coated and (hopefully) had the plastic membrane stapled to the insides.

That will be good, I got my clue about cubic measure-V-weight from the consolidated contents of those very expensive 'Rolawn' bags of graded soil though I don't remember the all-up weight of the bag nor the cubic area the soil takes up.

What I did find was that every supplier of soil had their own idea of what the contents of their trailer or mini-skip contained in terms of cubic-capacity (When consolidated) and weight/price in just the same way the log traders sell their logs. A neighbour recently had a delivery by Transit-pickup for £70. A different trader charged £125 for the same load.

When I filled my raised beds it was going to cost far too much for my liking so I opted for waiting until a garden contractor needed to get-rid of some top soil then I bought a pallet of composted waste to mix with it at £2 a bag. The soil was very stony, full of rubbish and a lot of hard work though to mix it properly it had to be done a barrow at a time anyway.

Worms can do a fantastic job over winter if you add enough interesting material.
Richard.
Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Finally (almost) painted one of the planters. It's been a nightmare to find dry days. Just hoping for dry days to finish the 1st one and do the other 2.

I've taken on board what people have said about root veg or veg that can be planted in the same planter.

Currently have seeds for the following:

Beetroot (mini)
Celeriac
Salsify
Turnips (mini)
Scorzona.

I'm looking at planting them out in the same planters that will hold Raspberries / Blackberries. Please can people give me their opinions on if there are any "no-nos" on that list or any issues I'll be facing with the mix?

Many thanks.

Stonecoloured.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

hi Stone

I am wondering which varieties of Raspberry and Blackberry you are thinking of putting in these beds you have made.

With beds that are 3ft high, unless you are going to plant dwarf varieties, I think you might need to use a step ladder to pick the fruit

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic