Enviro mesh tactics

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Two things, firstly I wish my first purchase of enviro mesh had been from a stock size in a packet. They do such a wonderful job of hemming the ends and I do like things to be tidy even though this might mean some extra fabric bundled up at the ends.

I'm growing French climbing beans a little late in the season and wind is a problem here any time of year, what I've done to help my beans survive and hopefully produce is to erect enviromesh vertically on the goal posts arrangement support. Fingers crossed that the mesh will stay put with spring clamps and canes.

I'll post a photo when I get out of my pyjamas.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Look forward to it Robo :D
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Will they or won't they ?
Attachments
IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0830.JPG (139.63 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
robo
KG Regular

Plumpudding, I do not wear pyjamas
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I only wear linen or silk. :D
Richard.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Sorry, got the name wrong - imagination running away with me again :oops: :)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Regarding enviromesh and other plant protection I got a catalogue from http://www.gardening-naturally.com and they have some excellent products. They have a very good range of sizes of both the nets and supports and choice of fixings.

I've just been calculating how much it will take to cover my brassica bed as I'm sick of battling with caterpillars this year. There seem to have been a lot more small white butterflies this year which manage to produce caterpillars with an identical colour match to the plants.

Your enviromesh structure is very impressive Richard
robo
KG Regular

I have used scaffold netting this summer it has worked but have had the odd butterfly get through but probably my design rather than the netting, if you have a look on amazon its very cheap
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:

It's a shot in the dark and I'm hoping it'll help, I have learnt about slowing the wind.

Even though my cabbages and kale were heavily attacked by slugs I didn't get any catterpillars with the enviromesh cover. I spent quite a lot of time on the gardening naturally site, they have an impressive collection.

I'm still spending money annually on improving things on our plot, buying stuff like enviromesh is a comfy investment.

Tomorrow the timber turns up to turn the cabbage patch/strip into a raised bed though I haven't a clue where I'm getting the soil to fill it. Maybe it's time I stopped one of the tractors going past with clear-out from the cow pens. It's fresh though.
Richard.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:
PLUMPUDDING wrote:

It's a shot in the dark and I'm hoping it'll help, I have learnt about slowing the wind.

Even though my cabbages and kale were heavily attacked by slugs I didn't get any catterpillars with the enviromesh cover. I spent quite a lot of time on the gardening naturally site, they have an impressive collection.

I'm still spending money annually on improving things on our plot, buying stuff like enviromesh is a comfy investment.

Tomorrow the timber turns up to turn the cabbage patch/strip into a raised bed though I haven't a clue where I'm getting the soil to fill it. Maybe it's time I stopped one of the tractors going past with clear-out from the cow pens. It's fresh though.

Why do it ?
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

WestHamRon wrote:Why do it ?

Why create a raised bed ?

Even before I read other opinions about raised beds I had created my own opinion, even without much gardening experience I had created my own opinion that raised beds are a huge benefit for creating a controlled growing medium. Lastly, you wouldn't try growing anything other than weeds, grass, wildflower, Mediterranean planting and the floro that grows happily around here in our soil.
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic