Parsnips in containers?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mr-cecil
KG Regular

Hi there,

I'm thinking about growing some parsnips in containers (that's my only option). I'm wondering about using some of the bags that you use for growing potato's in. I have some and they appear to be about 17" deep / 45 cm and about 30cm wide.

Does anybody think that might work? How many would you put in one bag?

Note my only other option is to use a large container (by volume) but it is only about 15" deep

Any comments would be welcome....I'm just guessing.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi

My advice isn't based on anything technical but my motto is try anything! The depth sounds right for what I harvest but I think they have a big long root attached that breaks off generally when you harvest & I couldn't say if it may influence top growth if it has to wrap itself around the bottom of a container.

Let's wait for the experts! :)

Welcome by the way!

Westi
Westi
Beryl
KG Regular

I'm no expert but you could try one of the more wedge shaped varieties. I wouldn't have thought 17" was deep enough, something like those blue barrels or an old dustbin would be better. They are going to be in here a long time. Best of luck

Beryl.
Santa_stunt_double
KG Regular

I have grown them quite successfully in standard potato growing bags (which personally I find too small for potatoes, other than first earlies).

A mix of sand with a little compost will allow about six to eight good plants to grow - after all, you're looking for parsnips to eat, not super long exhibition standard plants.

Paul
Geoff
KG Regular

Next week's Beechgrove Garden is going to have a bit on container veg.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic