Greenhouse shade netting

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

HelenH
KG Regular

Anyone able to give me some advice about greenhouse shading please? Does it work better to have just one ‘sheet’ of netting draped over the entire roof; or, cut several strips with longer lengths situated over the opening window; or some other method? What is the best way of fixing it down so that it doesn’t take flight? I assume that with any diy method there isn't a way of being able to pull it back easily when it's not needed.
Thanks.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Seen greenhouse with scafolding netting over the outside. Would think with some bunjy/elastic in centre you could fold it back where needed.
Geoff
KG Regular

I'm probably in a minority but I never use greenhouse shading. Perhaps things would do better if I did.
retropants
KG Regular

When we had a large greenhouse at the allotment, we threw the shade netting over the top and just pegged it on with pegs randomly. Seemed to work!
Westi
KG Regular

Like retropants I used clothes pegs as well! I use them for lots of securing challenges with netting, fleece & mesh around the plot (canes, wire hoops). Unlike plastic coated wire & stuff they don't slip & move unless you get a proper gale!
Westi
Tony Hague
KG Regular

What I don't understand is green shading netting. Seems like an error. Many plants are sensitive to green light and grow upwards in response - a competition mechanism. Some ornamental plants are grown under magenta filters - exactly the opposite - to encourage compact, stocky plants.

Having said that, I have never shaded my greenhouse. Sometimes local shading for recently repotted plants or cuttings. Definitely lots of airflow to avoid overheating.
Breq
KG Regular

I just put mine on today - I use clothes pegs, too, plus fold back clips. This has worked fine for the past few years. But I only put it on the sunniest side (gets the sun from mid-day onwards). It keeps the temperature a bit less “fried egg” :shock: and the plants seen fine.
faizanmazhar00
KG Regular

HelenH wrote:Anyone able to give me some advice about greenhouse shading please? Does it work better to have just one ‘sheet’ of netting draped over the entire roof; or, cut several strips with longer lengths situated over the opening window; or some other method? What is the best way of fixing it down so that it doesn’t take flight? I assume that with any diy method there isn't a way of being able to pull it back easily when it's not needed.
Thanks.

I just put mine on today - I use clothes pegs, too, plus fold back clips. This has worked fine for the past few years. But I only put it on the sunniest side
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic