Let me introduce you to my tiny little heaven!

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: Chantal, Tigger, KG Steve, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

Re: Let me introduce you to my tiny little heaven!

Postby alan refail » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Elmigo wrote:You got an eye for detail I see! I'm from the Netherlands. Are you anywhere close to this area?

Ver weg in Wales!
1 x
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Primrose
KG Regular

Postby Primrose » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:31 pm

I was idly browsing some YouTube videos this afternoon and came across this one for growing tomato plants upside down in bottles. Another one for you to try perhaps, although I think you would need to choose the tumbling variety of tomatoes !

https://youtu.be/lCo_KkRamhQ
0 x
retropants
KG Regular

Postby retropants » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Everything looks so healthy and vigorous Elmigo! Good going, hope you get an abundant harvest this year. I too started out balcony gardening, it's amazing what you can squeeze into a small space :D
0 x
Elmigo
KG Regular

Postby Elmigo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:41 pm

Primrose wrote:I was idly browsing some YouTube...

Beautiful, thank you! I've heard of that before. Currently I'm sprouting tomatoes but it is a stem variety, not the tumbling ones. Might give them a try too.

retropants wrote:Everything looks so healthy and...

The thing about having such healthy looking plants is, it makes me paranoid at even the slightest sign of deficiency. Would you mind sharing some of your crops, some photos of them? I love to see how others go about their balcony garden!
0 x
retropants
KG Regular

Postby retropants » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:44 am

Elmigo, I'm afraid this was back in 1995! So I don't have any photos, sorry!
1 x
Primrose
KG Regular

Postby Primrose » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Elmigo, better to condition yourself to having a few unhealthy looking plants over the years. There are so many bugs and plant diseases about.

You have one advantage in that you're not growing your vegetables on an allotment where the diseases on other peoples' plants can quickly spread to yours, but of course spores from diseases can still be carried in the air. I dont know how high up your balcony is but it occurred to me that the effects of wind could possibly damage or scorch your your young seedlings. Don't get disheartened though. You will often find that damaged or imperfect plants can recover still produce reasonable crops.

I have redcurrant bushes that every year produce leaves full of blisters due to some kind of aphid infection yet every summer the bushes are so full of healthy redcurrants that it's an embarrassment knowing what to do with them all. Similarly my vine has blistered leaves every year which I don't know how to cure yet still produces a good crop of grapes.
1 x
Elmigo
KG Regular

Postby Elmigo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Primrose wrote:Elmigo, better to condition yourself to...

You're probably right. I wonder how real farmers go about this! Do they all spray chemicals? I'd rather have some unhealthy looking crops than do that to my future food. The balcony is only on the first floor. May need to create some nets to at least get the plants protected from the notorious cabbage white or birds.
1 x

Return to “Growing places”