2019 begins

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: Chantal, Tigger, KG Steve, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

2019 begins

Postby tigerburnie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:19 pm

My first new plant for the year, an Onion seed sprouting a loop already in the propagator in the conservatory, nothing happening in the deep freezer(that's the greenhouse just now) yet.
4 x
Been gardening for over 60 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Re: 2019 begins

Postby Westi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:20 pm

My new propagator arrived today so I'll be sowing as soon as I get fresh compost. I have my sets in at lottie & all doing well, but I'm going to grow some white onions from seed. The white ones from sets are disappointing as always small & even beat the red ones to try to flower.

I'm thinking I probably didn't need the large size propagator I got - it is huge! Fits the space(just), but I should have measured rather than spending to the amount of Xmas money I received. It looks good though & the lights have the red, blue & green waves which I didn't realise. I'm sure I will fill it though as you do when you can!
2 x
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Postby Pa Snip » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:32 pm

Whilst in Wyevale Garden Centre the other day I noticed a Stewart single seed tray size electric propagator on special offer at 20% off. making it £29 and some pence.

Same thing in B & Q >>>>>>>>>>>>> £15 standard price !!!!!

I have been remiss with my intention of getting onion seed in on Boxing day, it still hasn't happened, despite putting on numerous layers of clothes my upper body feels frozen if I venture outdoors so not been near greenhouse to sow them

Overwintering setts, shallots and garlic are looking good though

Leeks standing well, although one lot need lifting or they will be buried under a planned, soon to be delivered, lorry load of manure
2 x

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Postby tigerburnie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:25 pm

A few more Onions showing loops, days are still very short up here and I don't use grow lights.
0 x
Been gardening for over 60 years and still learning.
robo
KG Regular

Postby robo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:40 pm

All my autumn onions are doing well most are around six inches high the garlic is not far behind my rhubarb is sprouting away I've already got a few nice long shoots ,tomorrow we are away for a long weekend in aberdaron bought as a Christmas present by our daughters for my wife and myself they are doing it before my wife takes a turn for the worse I keep saying to them they are jumping the gun but who am I
2 x

Return to “Growing places”