Hedgehog stops play

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
did I ever tell you about the hedgehogs and the play? I didn't? well where I work we sometimes have outdoor plays in the scholar's garden. These usually take place in the evenings when the hedgehogs are around. Well there was these two hedgehogs doing what it takes to make baby hedgehogs between the actors and the audience and they were not at all fussed about being observed.... The actors felt that they were being upstaged somewhat and that they were not getting the full attention of the audience so they decided to remove the hedgehogs using the utensils that were to hand which was a Roman shield and sword!
Regards Sally Wright.
MikA
KG Regular

Nice story Sally but I'm not sure whether to :lol: or :( . Would any of us like to be moved forcibly at such a time :roll:

Hedgehog update;

We bought some proper "Spikes" Hedgehog food and my wife put some out at 10 p.m. within 5 minutes the hedgehog was there eating away.

Wonderful.

I guess we have now added hedgehog to our blackbird and sparrow feeding program.

Anyway I'll stop posting now unless something exciting (for us) happens.

MikA
MikA
KG Regular

Hedgehog update

Something exciting has happened. :D

I made a feeding station from a clear plastic storage box and see them most evenings at dusk (9.15 to 10.00 p.m. with sunset @ 9.00 p.m.
Only seen one at a time previously but last night we saw three or four.
The first was a big one feeding in the box which had a drink and was rooting in the antirrhinums in the border when another big one crossed the patio went around the greenhouse and "confronted" ? the first one in the flower bed. A few minutes later they were seen crossing the path at the back of the greenhouse - one following the other as if making sure he went.
10 minutes later a small one wandered around the greenhouse and patio and had a drink before wandering off around the house without going to the food.
A bit later another small one came back onto the patio. It seemed even smaller than the other but this may have been down to perception as it was getting quite dark.

This morning the food has all gone but one of them has pooped in the box. Fortunately there is paper down. They have also pooped all along the path at the side of the house to the front gate. Is this territory advertising?

I must get more comfortable seating in the dining room as watching the hedgehogs is better than TV at the moment.
Hope I don't jinx them and they keep coming back.
glallotments
KG Regular

There are far more hedgehogs about than you realise. In the past we have had huge battles outside our patio window when one hog meets another. They tend to go for head butting. One was wedged under the patio door ledge by another until it managed to escape.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

When they are lovey dovey they can be very noisy too. I once found an amorous hedgehog trying to mate with the yard broom. :lol:
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:When they are lovey dovey they can be very noisy too. I once found an amorous hedgehog trying to mate with the yard broom. :lol:

Brilliant :lol:

Reminds me of my old Dad saying that one of the neighbours dogs looked like a cross between a hedgehog and a doormat :D
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
glallotments
KG Regular

We had a couple of amorous hedgehogs in our front garden under an open window. We wondered what on earth was going on and when we looked outside saw a large female being circled by a smaller male.

She was snorting at him and rotating in time with him so he couldn't get up behind her. Maybe it was only him that was feeling amorous and she had a headache!
darkbrowneggs
KG Regular

MikA wrote:Hedgehog update

Something exciting has happened. :D

I made a feeding station from a clear plastic storage box and see them most evenings at dusk (9.15 to 10.00 p.m. with sunset @ 9.00 p.m.
Only seen one at a time previously but last night we saw three or four.
The first was a big one feeding in the box which had a drink and was rooting in the antirrhinums in the border when another big one crossed the patio went around the greenhouse and "confronted" ? the first one in the flower bed. A few minutes later they were seen crossing the path at the back of the greenhouse - one following the other as if making sure he went.
10 minutes later a small one wandered around the greenhouse and patio and had a drink before wandering off around the house without going to the food.
A bit later another small one came back onto the patio. It seemed even smaller than the other but this may have been down to perception as it was getting quite dark.

This morning the food has all gone but one of them has pooped in the box. Fortunately there is paper down. They have also pooped all along the path at the side of the house to the front gate. Is this territory advertising?

Any chance of a photo of your home made "feeding station" I quite fancy having a go at one of those and putting some food down for them :)

All the best
Sue

I must get more comfortable seating in the dining room as watching the hedgehogs is better than TV at the moment.
Hope I don't jinx them and they keep coming back.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I haven't seen a hedgehog at all this year, not even one three feet long and half an inch thick, which is a sure sign there are very few about here.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
MikA
KG Regular

Sue

try this link http://www.thehedgehog.co.uk/feedingstation.htm

This is where I got mine from.

OH :? :? :?:

MikA
snooky
KG Regular

N.B.wrote-I once found an amorous hedgehog trying to mate with the yard broom. :lol:

This joke is so old it is as grey as me :lol: :lol:
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sorry MikA, three foot long and half inch long refers to a road kill, i'm afraid.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
MikA
KG Regular

:oops: fell for that one eh.

Anyway here's a picture of the feed box in use by a little hedgehog.
hedgehog in feed station.jpg
hedgehog in feed station.jpg (116.37 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Snooky, it really was, perhaps that is how the joke came about. :lol:
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic