Magpies on my birdfeeder

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elle's Garden
KG Regular

My peanut feeder is suddenly being visited by a couple of Magpies! I have never seen this before, but one of them looks quite practised and efficient at getting the peanuts out while the other (young I think) hops around picking up what has dropped. The woodpeckers are getting quite cross because they like to come at this time of day and the poor little tits aren't getting a look in. :shock: :shock:

Has anyone else seen magpies on feeders?
Kind regards,

Elle
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Elle, we have an awful lot of Magpies about this way, but never seen them anywhere near a feeder yet.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

We also have magpies around here but I have never seen them on a feeder either.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Both Magpies and Jackdaws have been coming for peanuts for the past two or three weeks. They eat a couple and then get two or three in their beaks and fly off, so I suppose they are feeding young. They might even choke the little blighters, but I should think they are large enough to just swallow them. My thinking is that if they are full of peanuts they might not eat so many fledglings.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

I am wondering if there is a shortage of natural food at the moment? Along with the tits, magpies, pigeons on the ground, wood peckers, nut hatches etc, I saw a squirrel hanging on it this morning. I mentioned my concerns at the pet shop and they said that quite a few people are saying the same thing.
Kind regards,

Elle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic