Mayhem in the garden

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

We awoke this morning to find a certain amount of mayhem had occurred in our back garden overnight. Some of my climbing beans, planted out yesterday, had been pulled up and the loo roll containers were scattered nearby. (Luckily I've been able to replant most of them). The bird table was overturned and lying on its side, and there was a dead mauled blackbird on the grass, with feathers scattered everywhere. Any idea who the culprit could be? I suspect a cat which had possibly chased its quarry around the garden. A sparrowhawk would have taken its prey away, wouldn't it?

My regret is that if there had to be a victim, it couldn't have been one of the darned pigeons which are always in the garden.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Primrose, a shame when your careful work gets spoiled. The dead bird seems highly likely it was a cat....a strong one though if it knocked over the bird table and it might dig up one beanie loo roll if using your garden as a toilet...but several seems weird. Maybe there were two culprits?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
MikA
KG Regular

Primrose

Are you in an area deprived of rain with very dry ground? If so any birds or bigger animals needing worms etc. could make a beeline for any freshly watered in plants... My wife noted a couple of days ago that our "tame" blackbird was straight onto the watered area by some flower seedlings she planted out.
Perhaps this is what the blackbird was doing when ambushed?
ken
KG Regular

Primrose's reference to loo rolls reminded me...One of our sons has a new puppy, whose favourite toy is a loo roll. They let her out in the garden - with her loo roll - the other day. She must have thought it was Christmas! There were lots more loo rolls there. Unfortunately, they had young bean plants in them....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic