Blackbird nest

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

haggis
KG Regular

Managed to finally get round to clearing the half derelict shed that I inherited with my new plot. Just as I was reaching the back a very angry blackbird fled past my head making a terrible din. I found a nest in the back corner and have since seen the bird going in and out. My plans to demolish the shed are therefore on hold now as I suspect there may be eggs there (can't see properly as it is jammed between two boards). When would be the best time to get rid of the shed/nest? I really don't want to disturb the nest if there are eggs/young there.
MikA
KG Regular

Wait a couple of weeks till they fledge.

Do you feed your blackbirds? We feed ours every day with suet logs (not sure who has trained who but the fenale demands food when she sees us. She is even more demanding as there are now 2 fledglings. I waited till I could see them feeding in the garden before I cut back a large Spirea after flowering which was next to the Ivy with the nest. They were not disturbed more than temporarily.
glallotments
KG Regular

We had a similar female blackbird who used to sit on the table outside our patio doors and stare into the house if there was no food for her. She would come very close to us when food was available or wait on the garage roof until my husband put out the regular morning supply.

The male was much more timid.
MikA
KG Regular

Hi Glallotments

A couple of years ago, the female blackbird would feed from our hand if we sat on the step and held it at ground level. She also bought the young to be fed on the step and we think our current female is one of these.
haggis
KG Regular

Hi all,
Hadn't really thought about feeding him/her but will maybe now set up a feeding table somewhere on the plot. i would love to keep the bird around the plot but do need to pull down the old shed at some point. I hope the bird will build a new nest somewhere else!
Johnboy
KG Regular

It is best not to feed birds at this present time as there is plenty of natural food around.
Let the birds help to reduce your pest problems and if you feed them then they become dependent on you. Let them forage and give their young a more varied diet.
JB.
MikA
KG Regular

I am actively feeding our blackbirds - on demand if you like. With this continuous lack of rain here there seems to be a distinct lack of slugs and worms in the surface litter and although they are foraging they are not as visibly successful as in previous years. The fledglings are thriving, I like to think with our help.

MikA
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi MikA,
I have at least five pairs of Blackbirds nesting on my property and they are never fed. If you saw what a Mole has done to one of my front lawns with surface runs and remember all Moles do is look for worms there must be plenty of worms under my lawn.
It might be an idea to tell us in which area you live and that would give us all an idea as how best advise you on any plant questions you might ask.
JB.
MikA
KG Regular

Johnboy,

location added

MikA
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic