Raising Chickens

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi to all
I have offered the loan of an incubator to raise some chickens from fertile eggs :D Can anybody give me any advice on this please :wink:

Regards
Kevin
John
KG Regular

Hello Kevin
I've never tried using an incubator so I can't help you on that score. Most poultry books though cover it quite well. I think it can be a bit tricky and of course you will have to provide a warm (heat lamp?) sheltered area for several weeks in which to raise the chicks after hatching.
Have you got any hens at the moment? Any likely to go broody? We slip a few fertile eggs under a broody every few years to bring on new stock to replace those that have fallen off their perches. Its ever so easy as mum does all the work! Its also a really inspiring sight to see the proud mum showing her new chicks what's what in the world especially if you have young children.
John
alan refail
KG Regular

You should get some information on www.practicalpoultry.co.uk Forum.Or search for the many poultry websites. "Incubation A Guide to Hatching and Rearing" by Katie Thear, Broad Leas Publishing is readily available.
Diane
KG Regular

I raise chickens, using an incubator and also broodies. It's quite easy as long as you learn all you can before you start.

Very important - you need to make sure you have the relevant manufacturers instruction manual for the incubator (what make and model is it?). Follow all the instructions for that particular model, as different incubators may have slightly different requirements.

Have a look at www.pekinbantams.com - everything you need to know is on there. Very helpful and knowledgeable people on the forums.
Also you might like to look on the Poultry Club of Great Britain website.

If you manage to hatch any chicks - you'll need somewhere to keep them safe with a heat lamp suspended over them - study up on the website about heat lamp temperatures, etc. and relevant info for rearing chicks (all on the aforementioned website).
Chicks will stay under the lamp for about 5 - 6 weeks whilst they gradually feather up.

You'll need bedding for them (easibed) and chick crumbs containing an anticoccidiostat. Also a little water drinker suitable for chicks.
Also - have a think about what you are going to do with the cockerels that hatch - it's usually roughly a 50/50 ratio.

It's great fun watching them hatch and then rearing them on - but do a little research and I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience. It's not difficult - just research thoroughly before you start.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'

Hi
Reading all your comments very interesting. One thing - can someone tell me when and how you have to worm chickens? Where do you buy the tablets? liquid? or whatever you need to use?
Thanks.
Diane
KG Regular

I usually worm my chickens in the autumn - using a product called Flubenvet. It is now a prescription only medicine - so you'll need to get one from a vet - or Interhatch will be able to supply you with the Flubenvet, as they are able to prescribe. It's a powder which you measure out and mix in with the pellets - feed daily for one week. No egg withdrawal period.

Also, Marriages make layers' pellets with Flubenvet already added - but there again you'll need a prescription to take the agricultural merchants (if you can find one supplying these particular pellets).

As a general organic preventative, I add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to the chickens' water, one week out of four.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Diane

I am pretty sure you dont need a perscription for Flubenvet, it is still available on line for instance.

http://www.wormers.co.uk/acatalog/Onlin ... ry_18.html

I buy it from my brother who is a vet so I get it at cost, last time I spoke to him he made no mention of the need for a script.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic