Barn Owl

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

peter
KG Regular

06:35 quartering the edge of a waste field sandwiched one way by A1184 & Cambridge - Liverpool Street rail line and the other way by a large house/builders yard & a light industrial unit behind houses, I saw as I drove by a beautiful Barn Owl, about five foot off the ground flying a search pattern. :D :D :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Peter,
Lucky you! I suspect that hereabouts they were wiped-out by the harsh winter. I normally have them quartering the verges and fields around me and have not seen one since the bad weather.
Today is Skylark day with simple dozens and dozens overhead almost all the morning since very early.
A super pre-dawn chorus this morning with four different Song Thrushes competing with each other. Then for good measure there was a Blackbird on the barn roof giving forth.
JB.
pongeroon
KG Regular

We too used to see a barn owl in the fields across the road. I think there was a pair, most probably living in the barn (!) along with lots of pigeons and feral peacocks.

I haven't seen them for a couple of years now, I didn't know they were susceptible to cold weather, maybe they perished in the previous winter.

I saw a muntjac in the small hours recently. I'd not seen one before, they are soooo tiny.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic