Comfrey Bocking 4

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

MarkH
KG Regular

Hello all!
I have been looking unsuccessfully for Bocking 4 comfrey
(For animal feed).
I recently seen some old postings on KG forums re same.
Does anyone have or know of anyone who has Bocking 4 comfrey and would be willing to share a few cuttings?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Mark,
Welcome!
You do not give us any indication as to your location. Bocking 4 is the rampant variety that was used before Bocking 14 was introduced.
Hereabouts Bocking 4 is on many road verges and there are areas down the river Teme, close to me in North Herefordshire where there are literally acres of it. It seems that every time the river floods it causes another area to grow.
Your are correct in saying that Bocking 4 is the preferred variety because it seems more palatable to livestock.
Just at present I am not in a position to help you but if you are unable to find Bocking 4 in your area perhaps later on in the year I may be able to assist you.
Please advise which area you live in.
JB.
pongeroon
KG Regular

Johnboy, hello :D

Would I be right in thinking that the comfrey that grows on the banks of the Severn and Teme around Worcester would be suitable for composting? I don't know what variety it is, obviously, but there are large amounts of it. We have recently put up a small polytunnel and have an area to one side of it which would be good for comfrey because it can do its own thing without interfering with other growing plants. We will need lots of comfrey plants to fill the area and we are way to mean to want to pay for them if we can dig up some roots from behind the sewage works (or wherever). I suppose some comfreys are better than others for composting, but does this sound like a good idea. They don't seem to be an endangered species :lol: .
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

I do not know what kind of comfrey it is but about three times a year I stroll down a sheep drover's track (on the way to the pub) and grab a black bin bag full, works for me! Cheers, Tony.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic