Let's appreciate our gulls

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

Gulls are among my favourite birds, especially the pair of herring gulls which arrive at the kitchen door for breakfast every day, as they have done for the past ten years.

A very interesting article in yesterday's Telegraph pointing out, amongst other things, just how threatened they are.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... naces.html
haggis
KG Regular

Morning Alan,
(and a lovely one it is too in Aberdeen). I'm a bit more ambivalent about gulls I'm afraid. I love to watch them soaring on thermals and think they are amazing almost prehistoric creatures. They are also endearingly cheeky when it comes to feeding but they are a bit of a problem in many areas. They can be very aggressive even in the city centres and are a real menace around the fish processing areas. I have to say being pooed on by a gull must be one of the worst things ever. A tremendous amount of poo smelling of fish - it is really disgusting. Have never forgotten it happening to a friend while we were out walking - direct hit :roll:
Having said that I would hate to see them disappear as they are just part of the landscape.
Controversial bit coming up now (whispering) I like grey squirrels despite the hysteria we have up here of culling them to protect the reds. Again I think that they are part of the landscape now. We had a big cull here a few years ago and I was heartbroken to lose the cheeky visitors to my garden. Interestingly just before then we had both reds and greys visiting (yes together - have photos to prove it) then after the cull nothing. Greys gradually coming back but no signs of the reds.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
One of the comment said "TRIPE" and I am inclined to agree with that!
I would put, as the most offensive gull, The Lesser Black Backed which can be an absolute menace!
If they are in decline so much the better because we have an over population. Let nature rule for a change not the RSPB. Who incidentally roll the nests of Black Headed Gulls themselves to protect the nests of certain Waders.
JB.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I can only assume that this was posted as a bit of a 'wind up'; populations of gulls are a nuisance, they are also the main carriers of disease in agriculture and their numbers should be controlled.

Barney
alan refail
KG Regular

Cider Boys wrote:I can only assume that this was posted as a bit of a 'wind up'; populations of gulls are a nuisance, they are also the main carriers of disease in agriculture and their numbers should be controlled.
Barney

Not a "wind-up" at all Barney. We love our gulls - here by the sea is the right habitat for them. By the way, what agricultural diseases do they carry? I've certainly never heard of any.
alan refail
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi Alan,
One of the comment said "TRIPE" and I am inclined to agree with that!
JB.

The Telegraph comments are all fairly illiterate! Sorry to be pedantic, Johnboy.
pongeroon
KG Regular

We were sitting outside a cafe by the river in Worcester, and just as the waiter put down our cakes on the table - SPLATTT. Cake liberally iced with stinky gull poo. Much hilarity except for the poor waiter who seemed rather annoyed...

They are a pest in Worcester, but there are rich pickings for them off the streets, especially after a weekend night in the city centre.
Johnboy
KG Regular

That's all right Alan. You live by the sea, or near enough, but as Pongeroon say Worcester is full of LBB Gulls, Hereford is full of LBB Gulls, Shrewsbury is full LBB Gulls and they are an absolute menace.
My grandsons rugby match had to be called off because of LBB Gulls who decided to invade the pitch.
It's all a matter of concentration of birds and with Gulls there are too many in our towns and cities.
As for the RSPB, if they were to do a proper survey of birds rather than rely on this ridiculous national one hour affair they might begin to get their statistics in line with what is on the ground or in the air in this case!
JB.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

It's more likely that the menace is Herring Gulls Johnboy. Same size as the LBB but lighter coloured.
They are considered vermin all around the coast here. An absolute nightmare trying to eat outside in Hastings town centre.
We have them trying to nest on the roofs around our village, and the few people that let them, soon wish they hadn't. If one of the young ones flops down in your garden, it is dangerous to go out there, as the adults will attack anything that moves, whether it is cat, dog, or human.
The sooner there is a cull the better.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Elaine
KG Regular

Until last year, we had only Black headed Gulls around here, with occasional Commons but for some reason, we now have lots of Lesser Black Backs. I love Gulls.
I must admit, I get rather annoyed when my car is liberally splattered though...usually just after I've washed it! :roll:
Cheers
Happy with my lot
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi PJ,
I have been an avid birdwatcher since my 8th birthday when I was given the Observers Book of Birds and it was first published in 1937 and my copy is a first edition.
Herring Gulls mainly stick to the coastal areas and the the gulls in question are beyond doubt Lesser Black Backed Gulls.
I think in the right place on the seashore Gulls are magnificent birds and I have spent many hours observing them but, and there is always going to be a but, when they start to invade towns and cities they become a menace. I feel it is now time their numbers should be reduced.
I know that this is a sad thing to say but it needs saying.
JB.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy,

Would you like me to send you a few hundred herring gulls just to add a bit of variety :)
I'm sure we wouldn't miss them at all :D
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Alan

All birds spread diseases especially in agiculture, and the gull is one of the worst, due no doubt to its frequenting of open rubbish tips. I am a bird lover as well and like gulls but there are just too many of them. Surely everyone working in the coutryside or in agriculture knows that the main problem with containing any outbreak of disease is that birds fly and carry diseases with them. It was one of the first things taught to me at Agricultural College.

http://www.sgm.ac.uk/pubs/micro_today/pdf/110504.pdf

http://forum.davidicke.com/archive/inde ... 35577.html

Barney
Johnboy
KG Regular

Gee thanks PJ! :wink:
JB.
MikA
KG Regular

I totally agree with Haggis and others about gulls being ok in their right place. But I will share with you all a small story about my wife and I on holiday in Scotland with Father and Mother in-law.

While walking around Mallaig I was truly 'GOT' by a passing gull just as we were going into a cafe for lunch. All over my hair which was quite long in those days. The people in the cafe were great when I apologised for the stink. The waitress then said it should be seen as a blessing. I guess this must be true as we are still going 36 years later.

MikA
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic