Badgers

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tigger
KG Regular

There's a large set of badgers living in stream bank in a neighbouring field and they've taken to crossing the stream and trashing our orchard and flower beds. The've broken young trees and dug up whole planting schemes.

I know they're protected, but is there anything I can use to redirect them, other than electric fencing?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tigger,
The expression round here of late is I'm going "Pigeon Shooting at midnight!!"
Rifles not Shotguns.
Badgers are totally out of hand in this area as well.
I have a patch of land that is too dangerous to drive a tractor over it. Last tractor overturned and damn near killed the young driver due to collapsing Sett. He had a fractured Skull, broken pelvis and fractured leg. He has not returned to work yet and the accident was more than two years ago.
JB.
Tigger
KG Regular

Sounds familiar! This lot have undermined the bank so much that the farmer has moved his horses off and, as he can't use it for sheep or cattle either, is letting it grow for sileage. Trouble is, he'll only be able to cut some of it 'cos it won't be safe for a tractor and it will become an eyesore.

I thought it may be better all round to encourage the badgers to move house.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Tread very carefully if you want to remove them completely, I know from experiance many people are more than happy to drop you in it if you shoot one.

Detering them is very tough though but electrified netting can work but you need to get the most powerful energiser you can lay your hands on and preferably run it off a mains supply.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tigger,
Mine is now 6 acres of set aside. (pun unintentional)
I have had to post notices as this field borders a Green Lane. Although there is no actual right of way
several people do actually walk the lane and if anybody got hurt I would still be liable even though I have given them fair warning.
Lifes a bummer aint it!!
BTW I do not own a rifle but do have a couple of shotguns.
JB.
Tigger
KG Regular

Looks like it's going to have to be electric netting then.

I know I can't shoot them for 2 reasons:
1) I don't have a gun and
2) I remember David doing so on The Archers and being arrested, which would cost me my job!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic