How can we discourage these pigeons?

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Until a couple of months ago we had a lovely mix of birds regularly visiting our bird table - but no ferral pigeons. Then one ferral pigeon appeared and we didn't think anything of it. But in recent weeks, they seem to have spread the message and we now have daily up to a dozen of the damned creatures sitting on our roof every day, cooing all day and flying down regularly to feed. As soon as we see them land we rush out flapping our arms to get rid of them as they persistently refuse to move on. . If we stop putting out bird food, all the other birds will suffer and at the moment we have so many youngsters around needing a safe place to feed.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Primrose

I have seen these, though no need for us to use one.

alan refail
KG Regular

Any use, Primrose?

Another solution: don't use a bird-table. Pigeons can't manage hanging feeders.
Monika
KG Regular

Oh yes, they can, Alan. We have not used a bird table or ground feeding for years and only use hanging feeders for sunflower hearts, nyjer seeds and fat. This spring we have given these up, too (until late autumn, at least), because the pigeons have learnt to hold on to the metal mesh on the sunflower feeder and the top fastener of the fat feeder!

So, I would say, Primrose, stop feeding the birds altogether for a while. By the time you start again, the pigeons may have found a more productive source for their food.
Primrose
KG Regular

Monika - I've almost come to your conclusion that the best way to discourage the pigeons would be to give up feeding all the birds altogether for a while. My OH probably won't agree to this, but it was probably his overgenerous provision of bird food that encouraged them in the first place. With so much natural food now available, this is probably the best time to do it as I generally find that by mid summer, the garden is often sparsely visited by birds who are finding other natural food sources nearby. It's just the sight of these damned pigeons sitting on the roof all day waiting for the chance to swoop down and poop all over my washing in the process, that is getting beyond a joke.
alan refail
KG Regular

Monika, I stand corrected. I must admit that we don't have any feral pigeons here, just a few wood-pigeons which never come near the feeders. My comments were based on the habits of the many collared doves which either perch above the feeders looking down and wondering how on earth the little birds manage to get down there. Mind you, we have stopped feeding fat bricks for the moment as the jackdaws can demolish one in half an hour, having learned how to hold on to the mesh of the cage. We thought we had cracked the problem by hanging it from a swivel which meant the jackdaws were fooled by the cage swing away - but the crafty buggers soon learned!
Elaine
KG Regular

Hi Primrose. I have had the same problem this year but with Wood Pigeons. There used to be a pair of Collared Doves which visited our bird table occasionally and I was amused to see them struggle to get under the roof as it is only a small table, only room for one Collared Dove at a time!

About eight weeks ago, a pair of stonking fat Wood Pigeons came down in the garden for the seed and mealworm crumble on the ground. At first, I didn't mind but that soon changed when they hoovered up every last morsel then somehow managed to get on the bird table and polished that lot off too. :evil: Within a week, they were coming several times a day and eating everything, then they brought their friends...another pair...who joined in the feast. Any amount of window banging, opening the patio doors, hand clapping etc. etc. just sent them temporarily up onto the roof opposite. My neighbour wasn't very happy, as her washing got pooped on several times but strangely enough, mine never got hit!

They suddenly stopped coming and when my neighbour told me her son was upset to find two dead pigeons in the street not far from us, I went to have a look. They were Wood Pigeons and had obviously been shot.
The other pair haven't been to visit so whether they suffered the same fate, I don't know. I do know it isn't costing me as much in bird food!

I'm not suggesting for one moment, that you hire a couple of thugs with air guns............ :shock:

Cheers!
Happy with my lot
Primrose
KG Regular

Elaine - yes, we have an increasing number of wood pigeons too this year. They must have a very effective bush telegraph system because they quickly bring all their mates, although I suspect some of them may now be this year's babies who are being taught by their parents that our garden is an easy touch for a free cafe.
They bumble around our lawn quite aimiably and I don't so much mind them as the feral pigeons. Our patio door is open most of the day in this warm weather. I suspect that a long distance water pistol might be a good deterrent! Not sure I could bring myself to shoot them, even if I did have a gun and knew how to use it.
Monika
KG Regular

It's interesting to read the different prevalence of the pigeon families. When we moved here 30 years ago, we had only wood pigeons, then a few collared doves arrived (still don't get many of those) and then, about two years ago, the first feral pigeons turned up at the bird feeder. At the same time they started nesting under the bridge which carries a limestone quarry railway over the road just outside the village. And from then on, they have been the dominant pigeons, most annoying.

That's why we first stopped feeding birds on any flat areas and now, at least for the summer, altogether.
glallotments
KG Regular

You could buy a sparrowhawk kite like they use in some cities but then you'd probably scare all the other birds too.

We have a pair of wood pigeons and several collared doves but they are quite well mannered. We have little trays onthe bottom of the feeders to catch seed and husks etc and the doves perch on their to get food but don't stay too long and don't eat too much.
Monika
KG Regular

Primrose, I found the following in today's 'Daily Telegraph' on getting rid of pigeons:

"Apparently, pigeons see red as a sign of danger and keep away. To get your pigeons to fall off their perches with fear, therefore, try hanging something limp, dead, and red in your tree ..... The other ploy tried and tested by several readers is to stick some very long feathers (pheasant feathers from a game butcher?) into the sides of some outsize baking potatoes and add some white buttons on one end for eyes, making them look very approximately like large birds of prey, and hang a few around in strategic places in the garden. That might fix 'em"

Might be worth a try.
Primrose
KG Regular

Well I guess waving a few red England football shirt around would be enough to sacare anybody off!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic